3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File Transfers bet. Home & Work

Not sure if this post belongs in this forum, but could not see another best fit.

I would like to transfer files between my PCs at work and home using internet connections in place of disks. What alternatives do I have? Many email accounts limit file attachment size to one or two megs; I would like to move larger files.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Transfers bet. Home & Work

Have you considered<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.laplink.com/products/llgold/overview.asp> Laplink</A>? My husband uses it both for file transfers between home and work and for remote controlling my mother's PC in Canada (we're in Holland) to help her with upgrades and maintenance etc. and it works like a charm.
    Hope this helps.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WinZip 8.1 New!

Well I use WinZip to compress my files then email them. But as you say, sometimes there are problems with larger files. I know some Zippers can

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WinZip 8.1 New!

If you're not too worried about carrrying them about, look to a hardware solution.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WinZip 8.1 New!

Winzip has been able to do that for ages. The trick has always been that you had to zip it directly to a floppy drive and turn on the spanning switch with the older versions.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Transfers bet. Home & Work

Zip drives are cheap and handy, and that's what I use to transfer files between home and office. The new 250 drives will load 250 MB unzipped onto a zip disk and will read and write the older 100 Mb format. They come in parallel port, SCSI and IDE controller flavors, and the new laptops are offering them as an option. Much handier than floppies for certain.
    Charlotte