Thanks

Thumbs down RE-NAME C:\USERS\My Account Folder Name

Windows 10x64-Pro.

Not sure how this happened but, in Control Panel\User Accounts\ the name of my user account is "XX-". That name is carried through-out my W10 install, *except in the C:\Users\ folder where 'my account' folder is named "XX" only, with no special character(-) following.

I looked to see if the C:\Users\"XX"\ folder had Properties information it would display, or a Rename function associated with it. The folder has neither of these features.

Q: What is the best way to rectify this error without compounding the problem?
    The name of the 'user account folder' on my desktop does not match the name of my 'user account folder' in C:\Users\

thank you
    "... don't think it won't happen just because it hasn't happened yet..."

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a nearly identical thread with a lot of good discussion. I won't try and reproduce that other than to say, it ain't easy.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    It might be easiest simply to put up with the aggravation of the way things are named, if there are no other issues than that.

You could create a new user account. But there is a complication with that approach: Most people have Microsoft accounts, rather than local accounts. In other words, your email address is your Windows username. If you picked an entirely new username, and then created a new account with that name, you will need to pick a new email address as well. I personally wouldn't want to have to pick a new email address.

Thanks
    I would strongly suggest NOT changing the folder name, even if possible. Make a backup and extra admin account before jabbing in the dark underside of Windows.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    If you want folder name of your choosing, reinstall, choose local account. The user folder will be named whatever name you pick for your local account. After first logon, change to Microsoft Account. Your folder name will remain the same as it was.

Thanks

reply to GS Smith and djohnson

gsmith: Do you happen to know where this discussion is posted? I did a search of the forum b4 posting and came up empty handed.

Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    There is a nearly identical thread with a lot of good discussion. I won't try and reproduce that other than to say, it ain't easy.
    djohnson
    reply: If you want folder name of your choosing, reinstall, choose local account. The user folder will be named whatever name you pick for your local account. After first logon, change to Microsoft Account. Your folder name will remain the same as it was.

response: I'm not going to do that (re-install) but it is interesting that you noticed that creating a local account when installing, and then changing to a MS Account login lets the user continue to use the username of the local account chosen during the install ......
    "... don't think it won't happen just because it hasn't happened yet..."