New Lounger
    Thanks

Hyperlinks how-to

I have over the years created several documents containing my favorite recipes. I have a doc for each of various foods; e.g., Beef, Pork, Veggies, etc. At the beginning of each doc, I have created an Index page with the recipe name and page number. This works well for those who print out the docs and bind them but a lot of my friends just like to keep the files on their PCs, myself included.

I'd like to create a hyper link for each entry in the Index that links to the for that dish. For example, the index might say "Smoked Prime Rib". This comes from the Recipe Name on the page where the recipe begins. The text in the recipe for the name has a Style name separate from the Author Name, Ingredients and Directions.

Can I create a hyper link from what I have done? If so, how?

Thanks,

jbacinti

PS: I've attached one of the smaller documents. BTW, they are all in Word 2003.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Hyperlinks go to a particular location.
    In Word the best marker for a location is a bookmark.

If you use one of the built-in heading styles for your recipe names, you can use the bookmark automatically generated by Word. You can change the formatting of that heading style to be exactly the same as you are currently using for your names. You can use Replace to replace each instance of your name style with the heading style.

This will have the advantage of also letting you create an automatic Table of Contents. That table of contents will automatically be (invisible) hyperlinks. That may be sufficient.

If you want to have your index be hyperlinks, you will still have enter the hyperlinks by hand, one by one.
    Select the text in your index and tell it to hyperlink to your current location. To do that,
    1. select the index entry you want to turn into a hyperlink and
    2. right-click on it.
    3. Pick hyperlink from the context menu.
    4. Click on the Bookmark button
    5. Pick your recipe from among the available bookmarks.

See the screenshot below. It is from the Insert Hyperlink dialog in Word 2003.
    This procedure will work in any version of Word from Word 2003 on. (It may work with earlier versions as well.)

You can change the formatting for hyperlink and followed hyperlink styles to not underline or show the color if you want.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2015-10-29 at 15:48.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Looked at your document.

You are using an Index when you want a Table of Contents. You can get rid of all of the Index (XE) entries and simply use heading styles to generate the table of contents.

You may want to look at the links provided in my previous post before you make your changes.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2015-10-29 at 15:55.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks you Charles. Maybe when I retire I'll have time to go through several documents with several thousand recipes and make the changes. I appreciate you advice and help and will file it for reference.

Thanks
    The thousands of changes can be made with some fairly simple Find-Replace actions since you already have styles being used for your names. Should be one pass per document. You would not have to delete the index entries. Just delete the Index and replace it with a Table of Contents.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi jbacinti

I attach a hyerlinked index in your document. I used indexlinker.dot. The Index style doesn't always work with the IndexLinker.dot but you can fiddle around with the Reference style template that works. I said NO when asked to convert the Index to text only.

The one I attach works. Place the indexlinker.dot in your STARTUP folder:

http://www.wordaddins.com/support/ho...tartup-folder/

I attach your doc and IndexLinker.dot (2003) in zip file. I also attach a link to read about IndexLinker.

http://www.editorium.com/IndexLinker.htm

Regards
    Janine
    Attached Files Attached Files