Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

What Now? Update to Windows 10

Went to MS download site & d/l the Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ISO. Used the MS utility to burn to dvd.

My Windows 7 Pro is an "Intended for distribution with a new PC." It came with a 25 alphanumeric serial # (or whatever it is called).

I would like to install the Windows 10 described above as a new install - not updating what is on my system but starting with a clean C:\. Can I use that serial number to do this?

Or, must I perform another process(es)?

jwoods
    I would do a full disk image beforehand, then follow these instructions by Fred Langa...

http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter...pgrade/#story1

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you wait until Threshhold II is available - sometime in November - You can do a clean install and enter your Windows 7 Product Key, and it should work fine. This is a new feature in Threshold II.

If you do a clean install now, the current version of Windows 10 - Threshhold I - will not accept your Windows 7 product key.

jwoods
    From Fred's instructions...

First, you must — at least temporarily — upgrade your current Win7/8 system to Win10, the standard way. During this initial upgrade, Microsoft’s activation servers create and store a unique and permanent machine ID that’s based on your old Windows key plus the system’s hardware.

During the upgrade, Microsoft will also automatically issue you a new, generic Win10 product key. But it works only after your PC has been successfully upgraded to Win10 and activated. (This is how Microsoft intends to prevent piracy of the free Win10 upgrade.)

After your system has successfully completed an initial upgrade to Win10 and it has been registered with Microsoft’s activation servers, you then can wipe out the Win10 upgrade setup and perform a thorough, from-scratch, clean install.

So no need to wait and you don't have to worry about your Windows 7 product key. As long as it is a valid key, you'll be fine.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    If you wait until Threshhold II is available - sometime in November - You can do a clean install and enter your Windows 7 Product Key, and it should work fine. This is a new feature in Threshold II.

If you do a clean install now, the current version of Windows 10 - Threshhold I - will not accept your Windows 7 product key.
    There is no relationship between being able to use the previous OS Keys & TH2... which, BTW, is a series of Updates that start in October not, a 'package'. Do not think of 'Thresholds' as being anything like Service Packs of the past. Thresholds have about a 3 month span so figure 4/yr.
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-10-29 at 17:13.

jwoods
    Threshold 2 bits are going out to Insiders in October...MS is aiming for general release sometime in November.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...-for-pc-users/

Threshold is simply a code name. As mentioned in the Mary Jo Foley article, in 2016 we'll see Redstone 1 and Redstone 2.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    There is no relationship between being able to use the previous OS Keys & TH2... which, BTW, is a series of Updates that start in October not, a 'package'. Do not think of 'Thresholds' as being anything like Service Packs of the past. Thresholds have about a 3 month span so figure 4/yr.
    Yes, there is. Using a key from Win7 or Win8.1 requires build 10565 or later. The first release for the general public will be the release code named Threshold 2. TH2 will most likely be released in November. See Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10565.

Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, in regard to Insider Builds that is quite correct. Yes, anytime from Oct. 29 or so... the 3 month interval.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    ...TH2 will most likely be released in November...
    TH2 is available to fast ring insiders now. See "th2_release Professional 10576": http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...essional-10576
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    TH2 is available to fast ring insiders now. See "th2_release Professional 10576": http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...essional-10576
    Released on October 12th...as mentioned in the link in post #6.

Thanks
    Strange.

Gabe Aul's blog "Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10576" dated 29 October 2015 states "...Today we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10576 to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring...": http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexpe...w-build-10576/

EDIT: Re "Released on October 12th...as mentioned in the link in post #6."

The article you linked in your #6 post is about build 10565 but states near the end "...Microsoft is aiming to deliver around November 2015 the 'Threshold 2' update to Windows 10...".
    Last edited by Coochin; 2015-10-30 at 03:01. Reason: further comment
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

jwoods
    The article you linked in your #6 post is about build 10565 but states near the end "...Microsoft is aiming to deliver around November 2015 the 'Threshold 2' update to Windows 10...".

The All About Microsoft article called 10565 a Threshold 2 Test Build, so from their perspective, that was the first T2 build for Insiders.

So, I guess that would make 10576 the "second test build" of T2.

Really doesn't matter, since it's not in general release.

There could be more test builds before then.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...vember-release

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...ge-extensions/

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    @coochin,

This is my attempt to clarify the naming used by Microsoft such as "th2_release Professional 10576". Hope this isn't too techy or murky.

The TH2 portion of the name is an internal Microsoft descriptor used by the development team. Think of the Windows source code as a tree. There is a main trunk and branches of the main trunk. When the features for a future release are decided upon Microsoft makes a branch from the main trunk of the Windows source code. This branch is given a name, in this case TH2. From that point on all code for that release is done in the TH2 branch. There can and almost always are multiple test or insider releases of the branch before it is considered ready for general release. Concurrently, other developers are working on other side branches or occasionally the main trunk. At some point, a side branch will be merged back into the main trunk. While it is unusual a side branch could also be abandoned if a feature is decided to be unfeasible.

Joe

Thanks
    @JoeP517

I was aware of the "tree" metaphor re Windows development. Your clarification should help other loungers get some insight into the concepts involved.

In this case I think I was misled by some recent web articles that claimed that M$ is almost ready to release "Threshold 2". So when I saw the "th2_release" I assumed 10576 is more than just another test build (w/ previous builds I had taken more notice of the download's build number rather than the "th2_release" part).

Have done some Googling for "th2_release Professional" which returned <>6,250 hits discussing builds 10525, 10532, 10547, 10565, and 10576.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast