Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Microsoft planning to automatically offer Windows 10 to existing PCs

Windows 7/8 user's BEWARE. Evidently the "accidental" D/L of win 10 to many user's was an indication of where MS is going with the "Pushing" of win 10 on the public, whether you want it or not. If you have Win Updates set to anything other than "Never check for updates", you WILL get the D/L of win 10 within the next year and only then will you have the choice of yeah or nay. That will put a LOT of people over their data limit.
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/29/9...te-recommended

Starting early next year, Microsoft says it’s planning to re-categorize Windows 10 as a "recommended update" in its Windows Update system. That means the Windows 10 upgrade process will download and start automatically on thousands of machines. "A user will be presented with a choice to install Windows 10," explains Terry Myerson, Microsoft’s head of Windows and devices, in an interview with The Verge. "They’ll come back to their PC and there will be a dialog where they can choose to upgrade to Windows 10 or choose not to upgrade to Windows 10."
    Myerson says Microsoft’s current plan involves it only presenting this dialog once to end users. Windows 10 will automatically download and start the upgrade process, depending on your Windows Update settings, but you can opt out and not receive nagging prompts to update. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users on a metered connection will have to turn off automatic updates to prevent the Windows 10 installer from downloading automatically. Windows 10 is currently a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users for a year, but Myerson didn't want to comment on the company's plans after July 29th 2016.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently, I am lucky. My 32-bit system does not qualify to due to a shortcoming in the Nvidia GEForce 7300 driver. That system is safe.

But, we perhaps all knew (or speculated at least) that this would be the ultimate Microsoft approach to "forcing" as many people as possible to get Win10. Of course, the next step will possible be to push out an early end of support date for Win7 and Win8.1, furthering their agenda.

This is essentially Big Data, attempting to influence, intimidate, or control their customers. When everyone (or almost everyone) is on Win10, it will then be dumbed down (is that possible) to match the Microsoft phone environment where users can only perform minimalistic things with no knowledge of what is happening under the covers (in the OS, that is).

What a shame. Windows was actually a decent system...once.

Thanks
    Here's another article on it http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...now-automatic/
    So basically MS has decided to take the ploy of big Govt. and decide what is best for us ( and especially for them ), and as usual, we have to decide how to get around their decision as best we can. So far ( fingers crossed ) I have evaded win 10 on computers that I want to keep as win 7 for now. I upgraded 1 computer to win 10 to see how I like it and I really don't see the need to upgrade any of the others at this point. Time will tell and as sneaky and forceful as MS has decided to be, it's hard telling how long the older OS's will last.
    Unfortunately, this whole scenario has lowered any respect that I had left for MS as a company.

jwoods
    The Verge article stated...

"Myerson says Microsoft’s current plan involves it only presenting this dialog once to end users. Windows 10 will automatically download and start the upgrade process, depending on your Windows Update settings..."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-10-30)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    The Verge article stated...

"Myerson says Microsoft’s current plan involves it only presenting this dialog once to end users. Windows 10 will automatically download and start the upgrade process, depending on your Windows Update settings..."
    Yup, that's what it said.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Because so many Windows 7 & 8 users were unaware they could update to 10 for free.

"So I won't feel so all alone, everybody must get stoned."
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-10-30 at 16:10.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Yup, that's what it said.
    So it's not automatic if it depends on your WU settings...

Thanks
    So it's not automatic if it depends on your WU settings...
    That's why I stated in my 1st post about "Never check for Updates", which is how mine has been set for a long time. I just check manually. The problem will be for a whole bunch of unsuspecting user's that follow MS advice about auto updates yet don't really want Win 10 right now ( the forum is loaded with post's about it ) and especially all the people who are on data caps that will get a 3 GB surprise.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    That's why I stated in my 1st post about "Never check for Updates", which is how mine has been set for a long time. I just check manually. The problem will be for a whole bunch of unsuspecting user's that follow MS advice about auto updates yet don't really want Win 10 right now ( the forum is loaded with post's about it ) and especially all the people who are on data caps that will get a 3 GB surprise.
    So for clarity, it seems for those who have the following WU settings...

Never check for updates (not recommended)

Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them

...they should be fine.

Those with...

Install updates automatically (recommended)

Download updates but let me choose whether to install them

...not so much.

I personally use Check for... and have never had any issues with unwanted updates.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by oldITguy View Post
    Apparently, I am lucky. My 32-bit system does not qualify to due to a shortcoming in the Nvidia GEForce 7300 driver. That system is safe.

But, we perhaps all knew (or speculated at least) that this would be the ultimate Microsoft approach to "forcing" as many people as possible to get Win10. Of course, the next step will possible be to push out an early end of support date for Win7 and Win8.1, furthering their agenda.

This is essentially Big Data, attempting to influence, intimidate, or control their customers. When everyone (or almost everyone) is on Win10, it will then be dumbed down (is that possible) to match the Microsoft phone environment where users can only perform minimalistic things with no knowledge of what is happening under the covers (in the OS, that is).

What a shame. Windows was actually a decent system...once.
    Conspiracy theories at best.

Thanks
    there will be a dialog where they can choose to upgrade to Windows 10 or choose not to upgrade to Windows 10."
    Myerson says Microsoft’s current plan involves it only presenting this dialog once to end users
    So you can reject the update and that should be the end of it.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So for clarity, it seems for those who have the following WU settings...

Never check for updates (not recommended)

Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them

...they should be fine.

Those with...

Install updates automatically (recommended)

Download updates but let me choose whether to install them

...not so much.

I personally use Check for... and have never had any issues with unwanted updates.
    The fact that this has to be spelt out to people is the reason why MS can have so much control.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    The fact that this has to be spelt out to people is the reason why MS can have so much control.
    I would say that spelling it out gives users more knowledge to help them decide what WU settings work best for their particular situation.

There are some people who want to "set it and forget it"...others who want to vet every update before installing.

Taking the proper precautions (i.e. doing frequent disk images and verifying they are good, having System Restore turned on and verifying it's working) is beneficial, no matter who changes what setting.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-10-30 at 21:05.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post

Jerry
    If MS doesn't change something in it show up again. They've already done that on some updates I hid.
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post

Jerry
    Yup. Until the update after that one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast