3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hard Disk Partitioning

I know very little about this subject, but feel I may be able to use my disk more efficiently, perhaps by separating data and or progs from the Win 10 operating system.
    The images attached show the current set up, so any advice for changing this would be much appreciated.

diskmanage.jpg
    storage.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    I know very little about this subject, but feel I may be able to use my disk more efficiently, perhaps by separating data and or progs from the Win 10 operating system.
    The images attached show the current set up, so any advice for changing this would be much appreciated.

diskmanage.jpg
    storage.jpg
    Your idea may very well work but do keep in mind that the partitions are all read and written to by the same set of arms holding the read/write heads. It was quite a problem for performance 'back in the day' of 120MB to 1GB drives but the last few years have seen a lot of improvement in that area. The other part of the process is loss of data if the drive has problems that affect all partitions on it. Personally I prefer 2 drives, about 250GB for the C:/boot drive and 500GB or more for the storage drive. The lower-capacity drives are getting a bit harder to find.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, but excuse my ignorance, what would you recommend I do (if anything) with my current/original configuration?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but excuse my ignorance, what would you recommend I do (if anything) with my current/original configuration?
    I'd try to reduce/shrink [in Disk Management] the C: partition to about half maybe more then create a new partition E: in the resultant unallocated space. I'd also leave the other partitions alone so as not to create issues with other things such as booting, restoring, etc.

If the computer came with Win7 or Win8.1 and was Upgraded you may or may not have lost access to that version during the Upgrade. If it is lost the 27GB partition could be reformatted for storage use.

All this is getting into areas most users never will, probably because of a fear of screwing things up.

jwoods
    Informative article on the subject from How-To Geek...

http://www.howtogeek.com/184659/begi...ons-explained/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Go mad and buy a 120GB SSD and install W10 and your apps. Then re-arrange your HDD to suit.
    You can then make images of the SSD and save them to the HDD and backup the lot to an external disk.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help so far...I should have said that this is a Laptop, upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10, so 2 drives is a non-runner.
    My biggest worry is not to cause performance issues as mentioned by Berton in post 2.

Thanks
    I'd look into combining or removing some of those MB sized partitions first and foremost.
    Make certain that you can safely do it without fudging the "true" recovery drive or the bootfile partition.

Use an app like MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition.
    Don't use the native W10 disk manager. The above software will alow you to right click on
    one of the partitions and explore it.

Once you get all that sorted out, only then look into divvying up that 900GB primary partition.
    Also, get an external drive too, one of those small 1TB WD passports will do fine. If you rely on your
    laptop then you shouldn't just rely on the one hard drive. Make images to the external drive too as a secondary backup.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-11-01 at 06:23.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-10-31)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Personally, I'd not try to fix what isn't broke.

I agree with Clint, all those little recovery partitions irritate me. If you are happy with Win10, then they are leftovers from your original laptop's Win8 installation, and would restore your PC to the laptop's original state before you or any updates/apps started doing anything to it. They are unnecessary. Turning them into unallocated space would free up >24GB (probably cannot remove the leftmost one readily). You would need to nondestructively shift the C: drive into the freed space. Some 3rd party partitioning apps will do this, I do not know about Win10 capabilities. [Actually with Win10 is would not surprise me if it can combine pieces of the drive into a single partition that is scattered in tow or more places across a disk. It would just offend my sensibilities to leave such a kludge even though it would be transparent to the functioning of the laptop.]

That said, I would not do anything without an external disk image of the drive for backup and a working bootable recovery flash drive from whatever backup app you use. That way if you break something you can fix it by returning everything to the way it was before you started to alter it.

While partitioning the OS away from the apps and data may seem like it has merit--you can theoretically replace the OS without effecting the apps and data--in practice many apps are often broken and need to be reinstalled. How often are you ever likely to want/need to do this? Again a backup image maintenance schedule renders such worries moot and preserves the state of the OS, apps and data.

Berton's method of shrinking the partition and using the space to create a new partition for the apps and data is the way to go if you want to do this. Whether you use Windows capability or a 3rd party app to do this is up to you. You can combine the unallocated space with the newly formed unallocated space before creating the new partition for your data and apps.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-10-31 at 11:20.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    I'd look into combining or removing some of those MB sized partitions first and foremost.
    Make certain that you can safely do it without fudging the "true" recovery drive or the bootfile partition.

Use an app like MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition.
    Don't use the native W10 disk manager. The above software will alow you to right click on
    one of the partitions and explore it.

One you get all that sorted out, only then look into divvying up that 900GB primary partition.
    Also, get an external drive too, one of those small 1TB WD passports will do fine. If you rely on your
    laptop then you shouldn't just rely on the one hard drive. Make images to the external drive too as a secondary backup.
    Thanks a lot, may well try MTPW.
    I do have 2 1TB external drives and keep an image on each with Aomei Backupper. I've also got a recovery flash drive that I've tested by restoring one of the images.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    Personally, I'd not try to fix what isn't broke.

I agree with Clint, all those little recovery partitions irritate me. If you are happy with Win10, then they are leftovers from your original laptop's Win8 installation, and would restore your PC to the laptop's original state before you or any updates/apps started doing anything to it. They are unnecessary. Turning them into unallocated space would free up >24GB (probably cannot remove the leftmost one readily). You would need to nondestructively shift the C: drive into the freed space. Some 3rd party partitioning apps will do this, I do not know about Win10 capabilities. [Actually with Win10 is would not surprise me if it can combine pieces of the drive into a single partition that is scattered in tow or more places across a disk. It would just offend my sensibilities to leave such a kludge even though it would be transparent to the functioning of the laptop.]

That said, I would not do anything without an external disk image of the drive for backup and a working bootable recovery flash drive from whatever backup app you use. That way if you break something you can fix it by returning everything to the way it was before you started to alter it.

While partitioning the OS away from the apps and data may seem like it has merit--you can theoretically replace the OS without effecting the apps and data--in practice many apps are often broken and need to be reinstalled. How often are you ever likely to want/need to do this? Again a backup image maintenance schedule renders such worries moot and preserves the state of the OS, apps and data.

Berton's method of shrinking the partition and using the space to create a new partition for the apps and data is the way to go if you want to do this. Whether you use Windows capability or a 3rd party app to do this is up to you. You can combine the unallocated space with the newly formed unallocated space before creating the new partition for your data and apps.
    Thanks for the reply, most helpful.