New Lounger
    Thanks

Stuck in Safe-mode. Operating system will restart under normal or restore on previous good operation

Hi, Please help.

Its been 3 weeks since I have been in this situation. I have networking (Thank Goodness+Zone-alarm)

My fault that I am in this fix. I installed Ad Aware+Web companion (got a special for 1 year). On restart the win 7 would not restart under normal mode, kept reverting to minimal services.

Tried to uninstall Ad Aware +web companion. Unsuccessful! Showed errors. Forced removal with 'Geek-uninstaller'. Got rid of them. Tried to revert to previous good working system. Showed that it worked (I think) Restarted and reverted back to minimal services.

Downloaded Lazesoft Recovery Suite. Seemed promising, but would not restart, as WIM File not present.

Made a recovery start up boot disc. Started from boot up. No success!

NOTE: Stupid me, had a image file of the system, but can't find it.

I do not want to format, there has to be a way to fix this.

Regards,

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My apologies,
    Subject line should say 'Will Not'start i

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Did you make a W7 install DVD, boot from it and re-install? That should repair Windows, but you may have too many problems and a fresh install may be required.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...nload/windows7

cheers, Paul

jwoods
    I would consider doing a no-reformat, non-destructive re-install of Windows 7 first...

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...ive-reinstall/

As Fred mentions in the instructions...

"First, you need access to a standard Win7 installation DVD. Ideally, you have your original setup DVD tucked away somewhere. But if not, it’s perfectly OK to borrow one from a colleague or friend, as long as it’s the same 32- or 64-bit version as your installation. Ideally, it should also match the general type — retail disk or OEM/vendor-supplied disk — as well."

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,

Since I last wrote....I managed to get into Safe-mode Directory repair, which got me back into windows proper, however I was still in advanced Safe Mode which did not allow certain tasks like windows update and a couple of other things.

I must mention that I downloaded 'Lazesoft Windows Recovery, which failed to deliver what is designed to do in Safe-mode. What I must mention here is that there is Safe-mode and Directory Repair Safe-mode. The difference between the two is that safe mode has the large Icons and the latter is you normal start up page. (I am a novice and you guys are the experts)

When I restarted Lazesoft in Directory Repair, it gave me what I was looking for; A repair disc.

I am happy to say that it requires blessings as Everything has been sorted. All is back to normal. So I would suggest people to use this program. User friendly and works and its free for home use.

Guys, thanks for the help anyway, its much appreciated.

Thanks
    So what did it repair?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could have tapped F8 as you switch on and selected Safe Mode and going Start - type msconfig - press enter and under the Boot tab uncheck the box for Safe Mode.

If that failed, then boot up again while tapping F8 - select Repair your Computer and navigate to the Recovery Environment to select Command Prompt and enter -

bcdedit /deletevalue {current) safeboot

If that returned an error that it couldn't find the path etc. then enter -

bcdedit /store c:\boot\BCD /deletevalue {current} safeboot

exit

Then Restart.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

avamy (2015-12-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Wavy,

I don't know what it repaired, but for a novice like myself, it was good enough. However it would be interesting to know. How would I check to see what the repair disc did?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi sudo15,

If I got your reply in the first place when I was in difficulties, I would have approached your method. It seems easier enough. But its all done now. I am going to keep your message in a safe place in the event that this re-occurs.

Thanks
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by avamy View Post
    Hi sudo15,

If I got your reply in the first place when I was in difficulties, I would have approached your method. It seems easier enough. But its all done now. I am going to keep your message in a safe place in the event that this re-occurs.
    Looking at the date of your opening post, I must have missed your thread.