Thanks

Access 2010 Combo Box

I've worked pretty much with Access in the past, but my skills are pretty rusty. I've created a simple database for a bunch of Navy ships. Each row in tblShips has about ten fields pertaining to the ship. One of the fields is Ship, which contains the full name of the ship: USS Neversail (DD-214). Another field is ID, which contains a unique brief descirptor for the ship: Neversail.

I've created a custom form that displays all the data about a given ship, but I don't remember how to choose the ship whose data I want to see.

I think I want to include a ComboBox that shows ID for the currently displayed ship, and lets me click the down arrow to display ID for additional ships. When I select the ID for the ship I want to display, I want the form to display Ship and the other data for the ship that corresponds to that ID.

I've used the ComboBox wizard to add a ComboBox, but it doesn't do what I want it to do. When I click on Neversail, for example, it shows a completely different ship. Something is wrong, but I don't know what it is.

Who can set me straight?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    I've remembered/figured out how to step through the records by using the navigation buttons at the bottom of my form.

I just need a way to go directly to a given record, either by selecting it from a list or by entering its ID into a box somewhere.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Did you try the combo box search wizard (Option 3) ?

Here is a Microsoft video tutorial: https://support.office.com/en-us/art...2-220B4CF7BE59
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach (Access Information here)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    "If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HiTechCoach For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2015-11-02)

Thanks
    That does it! Thanks.

EDIT: The new file seems to disappear when I close the database. I guess the comment below is pretty meaningless.

Hmmm. Now I notice a new file in the folder my Ships.accdb file is in: Ships.laccdb. It has a lock symbol on the upper right. I'm guessing it has something to do with my new Combobox, and I recall some sort of message about "can't lock records" when I was first fooling around with a combobox. Does that make any sense to you?
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2015-11-02 at 17:06.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    That has always been there. It is a database locking system file create by the ACE database engine used by Access.

The locking file is used to allow multiple users to edit at thee same time.

The JET datasbengine (/mdb format) creates one named named a .ldb

IIRC, Access 2.0 used to leave the .ldb file when Access closed. Since Acess 95 the .ldb file gets deleted when the last user closes Acess.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach (Access Information here)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    "If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Any .laccdb file is used to lock records when you are operating the FE to it, it allows for multi users.

The file remains open while any FE is open, only when the last FE is closed will this file be deleted.