admin privileges

hi

can anyone help with admin privileges
    am not allows to update win7

thanks

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Please don't ask for help circumventing security restrictions on any computer. We have no way of knowing whether you're entitled to Admin access on the PC you refer to. Instead of asking for help in forums, refer the matter to the System Owner/Administrator.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Perhaps more details would explain the problem you are having.

Thanks
    hi

think ur jumping the gun here, i own the pc lock stock and barrel, no other users. and i gather there are around 100 different permissions available , is it any wonder a problem has deleloped

i seem to have inadvertently set up another acct and windows doesn't let me do very much now

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Please don't ask for help circumventing security restrictions on any computer. We have no way of knowing whether you're entitled to Admin access on the PC you refer to. Instead of asking for help in forums, refer the matter to the System Owner/Administrator.
    Last edited by qaz; 2015-11-02 at 12:02.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Setting up another account would not change what your normal account is able to do. You must remember that start with Vista and going forward Microsoft changed the account security paradigm. A user account may be a member of the administrative group. This gives that account certain privileges which are not available to a normal user. This is NOT the same as it was with older Windows versions. You are NOT granted unfettered, unlimited access to Windows. There is a built-in Administrator account which is normally disabled which is has almost all the privileges that admins had under old Windows versions.

If your account is a member of the administrative group you should be able to do anything required on the PC. Please be much more specific about what you are attempting.

Joe

Thanks
    On a Windows 7 PC, the first account created will have what are called 'administrative privileges'. Any further accounts will be created by default as 'standard user' accounts, i.e. with far less privileges (unless you manually change the option to create the new account with administrative privileges). Once a new account is created you should see the original account and any new accounts at the Windows login screen when the PC powers up.

If you login using the original account then you can use this to change the properties of other accounts, e.g. change them from 'standard user' to 'Administrator'. To do this, click on the Start button then choose Control Panel then User Accounts then Manage another account.

Hope this helps...

(I live in Bristol, too... BS34 )

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/
    PS: I use an account in which I have limited my privileges since it can help alert me that some malware is attempting to install itself by asking for admin permission when I am not expecting anything to be installing itself.

It is usually not a big deal to quickly grant such access or if necessary temp switch users to admin and deal with the app before switching back to my main account.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-11-02 at 14:24.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    i own the pc lock stock and barrel, no other users.
    The problem is we have no way of verifying that and anything posted here to help what we might think is a legitimate request could just as easily be put to illegitimate uses.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

jwoods
    The OP asked a similar question in 2013...

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-administrator

Thanks
    i appreciate that, im not trying to be funny but the similar problem could arise [if one was suspicious] when i go to buy a kitchen knife. i suggest that its something we have to live with [work around] unless we see evidence to confirm its going to be used illegally

this same problem i see is active on a great many forums . i am here because i find its members very helpful
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    The problem is we have no way of verifying that and anything posted here to help what we might think is a legitimate request could just as easily be put to illegitimate uses.
    Last edited by qaz; 2015-11-03 at 05:42.

Thanks
    am trying to update win 7 , error says updates are controlled by system administrator

the recent acct i stupidly created was "administrator" where as the original acct is called "m administrator", "m" being the name i had to choose when installing the OS. there is a "guest" acct but turned off.

i just looked and it seems my acct "m administrator" is only a standard acct , option to change to administrator is greyed out

i realize that its safe/useful to use a guest acct to stop programs being installed

Joe says "There is a built-in Administrator account which is normally disabled which is has almost all the privileges that admins had under old Windows versions." thank you Joe, thats what i need ....but how do i check if im a member of the administrative group that u mention.

away good to hear from people in bristol, specially if they know more than me about pc's

thanks everyone for the bits of info

update: i just logged on to the acct i created recently "administrator" and to my surprise it does let me update the OS, i guess i need need to transfer those privileges....yes?
    Last edited by qaz; 2015-11-03 at 06:46.

jwoods
    Unfortunately, you need Administrator privileges to activate the hidden Administrator account.

If you can't remember the password to the regular Administrator account ("m administrator"), there is no way forward.

You would need to copy your personal files and data off the hard drive, and re-install Windows 7 from scratch.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-03 at 06:22.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Unfortunately, you need Administrator privileges to activate the hidden Administrator account.

If you can't remember the password to the regular Administrator account ("m administator"), there is no way forward.

You would need to copy your personal files and data off the hard drive, and re-install Windows 7 from scratch.
    Not necessarily - While I haven't tried it, boot up into the Advanced Boot options and select Repair your Computer to navigate to the Recovery Environment and select Command Prompt, then enter

net user administrator /active:yes

Enter exit to close the cmd window then Restart where upon reboot you should see an icon with Administrator under it on the Desktop.

When you're done, disable the Admin account by changing /active:yes to /active:no and then reboot.

jwoods
    The command prompt needs to be run as elevated...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In the Recovery Environment it is elevated - I'm not talking about Safe Mode.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast