4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Web page won't load: my problem or theirs?

I'm trying to log in to a site where I have an account (Link). I'm using Firefox, latest version, up to date.

When I click Sign in/Register, the URL appears in the address bar, but the page doesn't appear, just the spinning circle on the tab but nothing in it. If I navigate away, the page then appears for a second before going to the new page.

If I disable Javascript, it works fine, but then half the links within the site don't work, so I have to enable it again. Then...half the links within the site...

It does work using Int*rn*t Expl*r*r, but the page doesn't look right.

I should add that I've done all the usual stuff in Firefox, like using safe mode, creating a new profile, and all that stuff. Nothing fixes it.

So. Is it a problem in FF, or is the problem something the webmaster should be told about?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Seems to work for me in FF. It also seems to work in Chrome, although it looks a bit different.
    My FF is the latest version.

So, nothing I tried seemed to point out a serious problem with the site...

P.S: Actually, there is a javascript error and it seems there is also mixed content (secure and non secure content). One of the mixed content requests was blocked, the others were shown as warnings. The best thing to do in such circumstances is to have all the content secure, to have no problems with some users getting access to the site. The webmaster should fix this.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

tonyl (2015-11-01)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While I don't have an account, using the 14 day free trial, I was able to confirm the year of the death of my father using IE 11 - my favourite browser - and it looked okay to me.

In IE click on the Tools cog - Internet options and under the Advanced tab, check the top box for Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering - Apply - OK - reboot and then see what it looks like in IE.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you possibly setting your Firefox to block cookies? Both the US and the UK versions have a note about having to allow cookies at the very bottom of the first page.

Thanks
    Do you mean JavaScript or the Java plug in? They are different things. Firefox works fine without the plug in, as does your site. Try deleting all cookies in case you have a corrupt one installed. Also empty the internet cache.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, thanks for all the prompt replies.

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    <snip>
    P.S: Actually, there is a javascript error and it seems there is also mixed content (secure and non secure content). One of the mixed content requests was blocked, the others were shown as warnings. The best thing to do in such circumstances is to have all the content secure, to have no problems with some users getting access to the site. The webmaster should fix this.
    The login page also has a form for new members to create an account - I've noticed (in IE) that I can have one or the other, not both, so that fits what you say. I'll bung them an email and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    While I don't have an account, using the 14 day free trial, I was able to confirm the year of the death of my father using IE 11 - my favourite browser - and it looked okay to me.

In IE click on the Tools cog - Internet options and under the Advanced tab, check the top box for Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering - Apply - OK - reboot and then see what it looks like in IE.
    Forget what I said - Somehow I had it in compatibility mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Are you possibly setting your Firefox to block cookies? Both the US and the UK versions have a note about having to allow cookies at the very bottom of the first page.
    No, all the cookie settings are at the default.

Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Do you mean JavaScript or the Java plug in? They are different things. Firefox works fine without the plug in, as does your site. Try deleting all cookies in case you have a corrupt one installed. Also empty the internet cache.
    Like I said, I've tried all the usual stuff, but I deleted the cookies and cache again anyway; no difference. And I got rid of the Java plugin a looong time ago. Probably about the same time that I ditched Silverlight.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The login page is in worse "shape", since some of the javascript gets blocked by the mixed content issue, in Chrome.

Capture.JPG

Chrome is more picky with the mixed content thing, at least in its default configuration, so I don't get the login form even. It only shows up in FF.

IMO, this is pretty sloppy coding. They risk keeping out quite a few of their users with this. It is also not very reassuring about the way they test their code. A simple test with Chrome would show all these issues.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

jwoods
    A simple way to check whether a site is down...

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/

Thanks
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    A simple way to check whether a site is down...

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    There's no question about the site being up; it just won't load in the browser. I've got a workaround with this, which just does what it says on the tin.

Thanks
    What are you using to disable JS?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    What are you using to disable JS?
    The addon I gave a link to in my post, though I was doing it in about:config.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    There's no question about the site being up; it just won't load in the browser. I've got a workaround with this, which just does what it says on the tin.
    Fortunately, you were able to determine that quickly.

However, some users will start changing their browser setup.

The link(s) posted were a reminder to check first.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update

Well, it seems that they're about as much use as an inflatable dartboard. I sent them an email explaining the problem, and they've answered saying "You can reset your password using the following link".

I'll tell them it's not much use if the page where I enter my password won't load - it shows how much they read emails. So I don't think I'll be using the site any longer, and I'll be telling them why.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    Well, it seems that they're about as much use as an inflatable dartboard. I sent them an email explaining the problem, and they've answered saying "You can reset your password using the following link".

I'll tell them it's not much use if the page where I enter my password won't load - it shows how much they read emails. So I don't think I'll be using the site any longer, and I'll be telling them why.
    Unfortunately, that's tech support, these days.
    Rui
    -------
    R4