Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will Windows 10 be the only Windows operating system?

I read an internet article stating that Microsoft will make Windows 10 the only operating system, automatically replacing Windows 7 and 8 with 10. Is this true?

Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Moon,

MS would certainly like to do that! But, legally, they know better. I'm sure they will use as much FUD as possible to get you to update though.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    I read an internet article stating that Microsoft will make Windows 10 the only operating system, automatically replacing Windows 7 and 8 with 10. Is this true?

Thank you.
    What I've gotten out of all the 'talk' is that Win10 will be the last major version, kept alive by updates/builds rather than Upgrades to another version.

There appears to be some truth to the replacing but I've not seen it yet, still using Win7 w/SP1 and the icon in the Notification Area, hasn't been too 'pushy' yet. I've Upgraded all my Win8.1 computers to Win10, no more issues than when I updated from Win8.0 to Win8.1 except 1 Notebook needed new Bluetooth drivers.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What Microsoft actually said:

Controlling the Windows 10 Upgrade
    We understand you care deeply about what happens with your device. This is why – regardless of your upgrade path – you can choose to upgrade or decline the offer.

Early next year, we expect to be re-categorizing Windows 10 as a “Recommended Update”. Depending upon your Windows Update settings, this may cause the upgrade process to automatically initiate on your device. Before the upgrade changes the OS of your device, you will be clearly prompted to choose whether or not to continue.
    Making it Easier to Upgrade to Windows 10
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-11-01 at 14:00.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also you can read all about Win 10 being included as an Optional Windows Update first, and then sometime after that being changed to a Recommended Windows Update on Woody's AskWoody site. You can learn a lot there about it and other Win 10 nags and pushes.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You will not be forced to upgrade. Eventually, Microsoft will cease support for Windows Vista SP2 (April 1, 2017),7 SP1 (January 14, 2020) & 8.1 (January 10, 2023). That does not mean that they will quit working just as XP has not quit working.

See Windows lifecycle fact sheet for details.

Joe

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

capnemo2080 (2015-11-14),RetiredGeek (2015-11-01),StevenXXXX (2015-11-05)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Thanks Joe,

I've bookmarked that page!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    What Microsoft actually said:

Controlling the Windows 10 Upgrade
    We understand you care deeply about what happens with your device. This is why – regardless of your upgrade path – you can choose to upgrade or decline the offer.

Early next year, we expect to be re-categorizing Windows 10 as a “Recommended Update”. Depending upon your Windows Update settings, this may cause the upgrade process to automatically initiate on your device. Before the upgrade changes the OS of your device, you will be clearly prompted to choose whether or not to continue.
    Making it Easier to Upgrade to Windows 10
    But that's only telling us part of what they've already done with Win 7. Saying it'll happen next year is misleading, at best - maybe that applies to Win 8.1, but Win 7 users have already experienced the pain - and there was no choice given to opt out...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    But that's only telling us part of what they've already done with Win 7. Saying it'll happen next year is misleading, at best - maybe that applies to Win 8.1, but Win 7 users have already experienced the pain - and there was no choice given to opt out...
    Accidentally, allegedly?

But next year they get deliberate.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What, it took 3 months to 'discover' this mistake? In any event, my understanding is that the update was rolled out as a recommended one for Win 7 users, not as an optional one, checked or otherwise. So anyone with Windows configured to 'install recommended updates' had it inflicted on them. As I've said before, for me the 'upgrade' not only trashed two perfectly functional Win 7 systems, necessitating a complete rebuild of both, but also left me out-of-pocket for hundreds of dollars in excess download fees...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

jwoods
    A lot of users got burned by that.

I'm not sure whether those users were able to roll back to Win 7 untouched (as in the 30-days to go back)...doesn't sound like that was the case for @macropod.

The whole Windows 10 "update thing" is one of the main reasons I decided to wait at least 6 months before (willingly) upgrading. I have WU set to check first, and everything else turned off with GWX Control Panel.

This is more than just a new OS, it's also a new way of distribution.

Bound to have issues in the beginning.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-01 at 19:22.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    A lot of users got burned by that.

I'm not sure whether those users were able to roll back to Win 7 untouched (as in the 30-days to go back)...doesn't sound like that was the case for @macropod.
    Indeed, in my case there was nothing to roll back to. The Win 10 'upgrade' failed repeatedly on both systems and neither could be restored to a pre Win 10 state. On one, even the recovery partition could no longer be accessed (something that's been reported elsewhere, too), meaning I had to go and find a Win 7 iso plus whatever drivers etc. I could before I could get the system back up & running again. Then there were all the OS & app updates to reinstall. Of course, with my monthly download limit thoroughly blown away, I had to do all this at public libraries and the like. Oh, and did I mention all this went pear-shaped the week before I had three Uni assignments due?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post

Thank you.
    Win10 IS the last Windows OS. It will receive its Updates (on into the future), but, there will not be a Windows 11 or higher. In that sense, eventually, yes, it will be the only Windows OS (version) ultimately replacing previous Windows OSs.

jwoods
    Or until Microsoft decides to change it...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Indeed, in my case there was nothing to roll back to. The Win 10 'upgrade' failed repeatedly on both systems and neither could be restored to a pre Win 10 state. On one, even the recovery partition could no longer be accessed (something that's been reported elsewhere, too), meaning I had to go and find a Win 7 iso plus whatever drivers etc. I could before I could get the system back up & running again. Then there were all the OS & app updates to reinstall. Of course, with my monthly download limit thoroughly blown away, I had to do all this at public libraries and the like. Oh, and did I mention all this went pear-shaped the week before I had three Uni assignments due?
    Uni??
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uni_%28mythology%29

I almost got caught too. In my case I restarted into a Setup Screen which I cancelled. I still have 10.3 GBs in a $something Dir. (Where is a class action when you want one?)
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast