Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Canon printer class-action settlement

eI received a card from Canon inkjet Printer settlement claims administrator, located in Philadelphia, PA referring to a litigation on Canon Inkjet Printer. I have a Canon inkjet printer MG6220 since 3 years which is on the list in this litigation.
    They refer to a website www.canon http://www.canoninkjetprintersettlement.com

First, I find this very suspicious. Second, my printer works fine w/o major issues though I am not quite happy with it, which has nothing to do with this litigation. I registered this printer with Canon, and that is where I assume the lawyers have my address from. I do not want to register with this class action suit, because I have nothing against Canon. In this card and you find it also on that website forcing me to send an exclusion request by Nov. 24, 2015. Generally, I think it is a scam, and I will not send anything to them. If there is money to be returned to me, I waive it.

Can anyone give advice on it, please?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It does sound suspicious. The domain name was registered by a reliable-co.com company, from Philadelphia. Not sure if it is a real company either. They do have a website, not too flashy, could be real, but you can't say it from the website.

In any case, as you're happy with your printers, makes sense not to reply to them.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

MKR (2015-11-01)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If they have sent you something through the mail and it is a scam, I'd be wondering where they got your address from.

Whether it's a scam or not, I think you should report it should someone not so savvy fall victim if it is a scam.

http://www.stopfraud.gov/report.html

I'm not sure if contacting Canon would glean any info should it be genuine as they probably wouldn't want to add anyone to a list some may not be aware off, but your details as a Canon printer user have had to come from somewhere.

Where do you normally buy your ink from ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

MKR (2015-11-01)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I found this - Canon Reaches Class Action Settlement Over Printer Defect and Canon USA, Inc. Consumer Class Action. Looks legit. The link you posted is on the first page I linked.

Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

MKR (2015-11-01)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies. Since I do not have any major issue with my Canon printer, I will not reply even though it seems they want you to. The case maybe genuine but does not apply to me since the error never appeared on my printer. As a fact, after upgrading to W 10, I had to reinstall that printer again, which had no ill effect at all. Consequently, I will ignore the card.

I buy my ink from inkfarm, and I am happy with their performance.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All of the Class Action lawsuits I've seen give you the option to not participate if you don't want to. If they're trying to "force" you into joining in, that doesn't sound quite right to me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    Consequently, I will ignore the card.
    Not a bad idea for another reason, in these lawsuit the suits get half or so and the end consumers get a few pennies. If it is a scam, it is on Cannon.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    According to that article you may get $50. Hardly worth the effort, especially if the suits take half.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It looks legit and $50 is far more money than you are likely to get in most Class Action suits. You likely registered the printer with Canon which is why you are on the mailing list.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There was a class action settlement recently which I qualified for, I believe the damages awarded were something like $20/person. The signup process was very simple and streamlined, BTW.

The questions I asked myself were:

1). Am I interested in the $20? Yes, but only mildly.
    2). They will have my personal information. If they lose it, was the $20 worth it? No. Not even close!

So I declined to participate.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In any Class Action LawSuit they must:
    Attempt to contact all known parties,
    Ask them to ether participate or refuse by postage paid return envelope or postcard by a cutoff date,
    Compile the list of participants, Check that they qualify,
    Pay those who participate, File a list of accounting with the court.
    Settle the claim.
    It is a tax free $50. They already have your info, that is how they contacted you by mail.
    You don't have to reply. If you don't reply the lawyers will get the money.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    By opting out of the settlement, you are retaining your rights to sue them separately, not as part of a class-action lawsuit. If you do not participate and do not opt out, you may lose any right for compensation if you do have a problem.

I think most class action suits are stupid and pointless. I had one where I actually received a check for THREE CENTS and another where I got NINE CENTS. It probably cost them $20 or more each to process those checks to me. I would rather they simply determine legally if the company is guilty of something nefarious, and if so, fine them appropriately, give the lawyers a 10% finders fee for bringing it to their attention, and use the fine proceeds to pay down the national debt or something. It's ludicrous to incur the processing costs to maintain the class action data base and issue and process all the checks just to put a few cents or even dollars in the pockets of consumers, most of whom, as OP, were not harmed by the problem anyway. The only ones who benefit are the lawyers ... and does anyone really think the costs to the companies of these settlements doesn't just get plowed into the price structure for next year's items?

Suits about safety defects in automobiles or medical equipment -- different story. But these petty consumer goods lawsuits where the harm to individual consumers is so trivial should be handled in a way that is actually meaningful. If I'd been screwed out of $5 or $10 by someone I would get more satisfaction out of seeing them fined enough to change their ways and have 90% of that money go to feed homeless pets than I would out of spending the $1.95 I was allocated and seeing the rest of the "damages" go to lawyers and postage stamps.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to luvscritters For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-11-08)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I own one of the listed printers in this suit. It failed under the relevant error code (print head) even though it hadn't been used much. The company did not feel they had any responsibility at the time and a replacement print head cost too much for me to consider. If Canon had offered me a replacement print head instead of denying there was a problem I would have been a satisfied customer.
    The $50 settlement would never cover the time & effort I spent researching this problem but I have made a claim anyway to show my displeasure.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Let us know if you get any money.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Well all go out for beers when you get the check.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast