New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Google Search has stopped working in IE 11

Google search has stopped working. I am using Windows 7 64 bit and IE 11. I type in a subject, it shows some items, but no search results. I click one of the items and nothing happens - just a blank screen below the search bar. Any ideas what has changed and how to fix it?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    See if you have the same problem when booted up into Safe Mode with Networking as this could be AV program related.

Failing that, see if resetting IE to default has any effect.

Thanks
    Since yesterday morning three customers have phoned me about this problem. I checked it out last night on four of my computers.

It seems to happen now-and-then; if I wait a few minutes after it has happened then try again the problem often doesn't happen.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

jwoods
    Check your Search Providers settings in Manage Add-ons...

Search Providers.jpg

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your help.

I reset default. Also set Google in Manage Add-ons.

It seems to have fixed the issue.

Before that I did find an ugly work around - when Google search did not respond, I clicked Refresh and that dropped down a search box that did operate properly.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try using a different engine (I like DuckDuckGo) and see if it does the same thing.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Lounger
    Thanks
    The exact same thing happened to me with Google on IE9 around the time of the original post. I thought that maybe it was time to reboot the computer (weird things tend to start happening when I haven't done that for a long time), but the issue resolved itself within a couple of days.

It was not happening in Google on Firefox, or with Ixquick on IE9.

Given that apparently it was happening on versions of Internet Explorer only, maybe it was something Google did at their end.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The same things happens to me all the time in Chrome and Firefox if I have Google as my search engine (I never set Google as my search engine in IE, always left it at Bing, but your post suggests that I'd encounter the same behavior). Do a search on "chrome google search yields blank page", there are a lot of hits and none of the many recommended solutions have any lasting effect - search works just fine for a while and suddenly I'm getting the blank page again. So I changed my search engine to Bing in all my browsers and haven't had this issue any more.

Thanks
    History:

I started using Google as my search engine, just about as soon as they arrived on the Search Engine scene.
    Then last year, they announced that they would start saving all our search information for their own use. What!!!!!!
    ("Big Brother is Watching!") Shades of Orwell's "1984".

That's when I gave them the axe. I searched the web for a SAFE search engine and found www.ixquick.com
    which I've been using ever since. I love it!

So, if Google doesn't do it for you.....MOVE Somewhere else! It's that simple.

Cheers mates and Happy Holidays!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!