Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to get into Cisco / Linksys Series wireless Router E1200

The computer is a Windows 7 laptop and my friend couldnít connect wirelessly

I wish to get into the router to determine what the correct passphrase is
    The passphrase they were given is 10 characters long but it doesnít work
    I didnít have time to stay with it and will be going back this afternoon
    Before I left I ran Belarc in the Network Map section it shows an IP of 10.0.0.3
    So it looks like I should use that IP address to get into that router?

I found the default username & password on line at http://m.setuprouter.com/router/cisc...1200/login.htm
    However if the defaults have been changed what is the proper way for me to set it back to factory setting?

Thanks
    The IP address for getting into the router should be 192.168.0.1, or maybe 192.168.1.1.

To set the router back to factory settings, there is a small, inset reset button on the back of the router. Unfold a paper clip, and then stick it into the small hole, till you push the internal reset button. Then wait a couple of minutes for it to reset.

Thanks
    If Belarc shows 10.0.0.3 for the router then, yes, you would use that as the IP address.

Example:
    router.png
    Click to enlarge

However, this would be unusual as the E1200's default address is 192.168.1.1. Check the underside of the router. If the hardware version is v2 or v2.2 then you can use myrouter.local in a browser instead of an IP address. As you have already found out, the default username and password is admin. If the hardware version is v2 then you have to enter admin as the username. If it's not a v2 model then you can leave the username field empty.

If you have to set it back to 'factory default' settings then the proper way is to use the reset button on the underside of the router. Press and hold for 5-10 seconds.
    linksys.png
    Click to enlarge

After the reset, the router can take several minutes carrying out self-checks before becoming usable again. The wireless interface is usually the last to become available so just wait. For more info, have a look at the router manual.

Once you've gained access to the router, check the firmware version. Whilst you're on the Linksys website, check the How to prevent your Linksys router from getting The Moon malware article as this affects several Linksys routers, including the E1200 models.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-11-02 at 10:36. Reason: Clarification

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-11-02)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you are ever unsure of a router log in URL, open a command prompt and enter ipconfig /all which will display the Default Gateway IP address, which is the router's log in URL.

It may not be the router that is the problem, but before you factory reset ensure your friend has the ISP's set up details.

Does an Ethernet connection work ?

Go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices and check for any yellow alerts, red crosses or black downward pointing arrows.

Expand Network adapters, right click on the wireless adapter and select Properties where its status will be displayed under the General tab - but right clicking on the wireless adapter and selecting Uninstall without checking the box to include software and a reboot will reinstate/refresh the driver.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-11-02 at 10:20.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I'll be following up this afternoon.
    At this point in time I'm hoping all I have to do is get into the router, determine the SSID and the correct passphrase: preferably without making any changes.
    --- I've looked through the manual but I can't tell what the default SSID is yet: could it be LINKSYS?
    --- Right now there are 5 available connections and the owner doesn't know which one is theirs but what they claim to be their passphrase fails on 4 of them.
    --- As far as the 5th one, its an unsecured connection so I'm not even going there.
    --- The computer does connect wired.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy
    --- I've looked through the manual but I can't tell what the default SSID is yet: could it be LINKSYS?
    --- Right now there are 5 available connections and the owner doesn't know which one is theirs but what they claim to be their passphrase fails on 4 of them.
    The SSID will be the one that disappears when you switch the router off and signal strength is greatest when you're stood next to it.

On a more serious note, on a wired connection just follow Sudo15's advice and enter ipconfig /all (or just ipconfig) in a command prompt window to get the gateway address, i.e. the router's IP address.

If a laptop is available, you can use something like Nir Sofer's WifiInfoView or Xirrus Wifi Inspector (both free utilities) to view router and/or channel information. If there's multiple nearby wifi connections then consider changing the router's default wifi channel to a free or lesser-used channel to improve reception.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-11-02 at 13:01. Reason: Added information

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you can log into the router, it may have a summary where it gives the SSID and shared key, but are all of the SSIDs showing as not connected ?

The computer's wireless NIC may still be picking up the SSID and opening a cmd prompt and entering the following cmd may help to ID it as it should have the strongest signal strength.

netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

Just as opening Network and Sharing Center, click on the wireless network connection may show the SSID or click on Manage wireless networks.

If the SSID is listed in Manage wireless networks, right click on it and select Properties and under the Security tab it may have the hidden security key which can be unhidden.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It can likely be Linksys. And it should be renamed to whatever you want (I think it has a 32 char limit...just remember you and others will need to type it in. I would not let it be informative (router make/model, your name). My next door neighbor's is FBISurveillanceVan9. My father's was Strawberry. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-11-02 at 13:44.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation
    My next door neighbor's is FBISurveillanceVan9.

Mine's FreeInternet....

Thanks
    Mine is footballfan. I figure no one will be able to figure out who it belongs to based on the name.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Mine is footballfan. I figure no one will be able to figure out who it belongs to based on the name.
    They will now

Wonder how cmptrgy is getting on ?

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    Thanks everyone. I'll be following up this afternoon.
    At this point in time I'm hoping all I have to do is get into the router, determine the SSID and the correct passphrase: preferably without making any changes.
    --- As far as the 5th one, its an unsecured connection so I'm not even going there.
    Network and Sharing > Manage Wireless Networks should display the SSID.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To make a long story short: problem solved

While following your recommendations: nothing was going right
    So I checked how the wireless router was connected and noticed the ISP router is a wireless XFINITY unit. Yesterday I had asked them whether or not there had been any changes to their system and they said nothing has been changed.

Oh sure: I found out today their son had convinced them they need a wireless router and he connected it to circumvent the XFINITY wireless router.
    Well that's an easy decision: I decided I'd leave and let their son do whatever he wanted to do

Well, they asked me what I would do
    I responded I'm not familiar with setting up a router to go around an ISP provided router wired or wireless and I don't know whether or not that's even possible

My recommendation: Remove the additional unneeded wireless router and I'll get you going through the XFINITY wireless router. Done

Thanks

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-11-03)

jwoods
    It's not uncommon to replace the ISP provided router with a 3rd party device.

For DSL connections, you can either purchase a router/modem combination device, or purchase a 3rd party router only and use the ISP provded device as a modem.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-02 at 21:11.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-11-03)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast