Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Starting Windows endless loop

I have a HP Pavilion M6 laptop running Win 7 Home on a Samsung 840 SSD. My startup time had been somewhat inconsistent running between around 45 seconds to sometimes 2-3 minutes or more. I had noticed a spinning wheel over the Network Connections icon and it wouldn't open till that went away. I had been trying to get it to run more consistently by removing unnecessary add-ins and dubious programs. I was going to run a full backup of my system and data which is on a separate partition on Acronis True Image after I got it working properly, but it crashed before I could do that.

However, three days ago it wouldn't boot at all. Only the Starting Windows screen would appear briefly for a few seconds followed by a black screen and then the same thing all over again. I was able to get into the Advanced Boot Options Safe Mode only one time but unfortunately didn't run a System Restore at that time and haven't been able to access any of the options since then. I can't even get into Command Prompt to make any changes there.

I ran my HP Recovery Disk and a USB stick but neither worked. The HP System Diagnostics indicated that both the Hard Disk and Memory passed the tests. I reset the RAM modules anyway and that didn't make any difference. The CMOS clock is working because it even switched over from DST to CST during this time. The Born On Date for my computer is 11/05/2012.

I'm rapidly running out of options here and am coming to the Windows Secrets forum as my last resort before taking it into the shop. Does anyone have any suggestions that I haven't tried already?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is the HP Recovery Disk a factory reset disk ?

If you have access to another Win 7 machine you can create a Repair Disk but you need to change the Boot order for the machine to boot up with it and that will get you into the Advanced Boot options.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ===> shop

Lounger
    Thanks
    The recovery disk I'm using is one that I created myself since I don't have the original Win 7 installation disk.

I did change the boot order as you suggested, but it didn't make any difference. I could hear the disk spinning and there was a slight delay but the result was the same ol' endless loop.

FWIW I did notice that the Boot Manager says that it's supposed to boot from the EFI file, not the Notebook Hard Drive. I tried to change it but it keeps reverting back to this setting.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    ===> shop
    ???

jwoods
    You might try the tips in this How-To Geek article...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/31804...ur-windows-pc/

Someone would need to make the Linux Live CD for you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Don't know what you are using to post with but if you have access to another machine, create a Paragon Rescue Disk to see if it will boot up with that and then perhaps you will be able to repair the Boot sector.

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-free/

Thanks
    I assume you tried hitting F8 prior to the start of Windows boot to get the Advanced Startup Menu. If you kill the boot by holding down the power key and repeat this three times, you should get the advanced Startup screen again. You can then boot to Safe Mode where you can do a System Restore.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    You might try the tips in this How-To Geek article...
    Oh gosh, I'm not that much of a geek and I don't know anyone familiar with Linux either.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    create a Paragon Rescue Disk
    I was able to burn this disk with my old XP machine, but it didn't work either. Nice suggestion tho.

BTW I don't know if this is relevant or not but I just want to point something out. When I set up this computer initially I wanted to create a separate data partition. However, it turns out that I already had four partitions and by adding another one it became a dynamic disk. In order to keep it as a basic disk I had to delete one partion so I chose the Recovery one. I thought that this wouldn't make any difference since I assumed that I could always use external media to restore it if necessary, but perhaps I was sadly wrong about this. Does that make any sense?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I assume you tried hitting F8 prior to the start of Windows boot to get the Advanced Startup Menu. If you kill the boot by holding down the power key and repeat this three times, you should get the advanced Startup screen again. Jerry
    Oh yeah. Me and the F8 key are old friends by now. I tried to do what you said, but I don't know you mean about killing the boot by holding down on the power key. If I do that it won't start. Perhaps I'm missing something.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Pressing F10 or F12 on start up should allow you to select which device to boot from. If that fails, try disconnecting the hard disk and booting from a rescue disk to prove that boot is OK. If that works you can remove the hard disk from the boot options in BIOS and retry.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Being able to boot up with the Paragon disk shows that your DVD player works anyway.

During a hung restore using a restore point, I got fed up and power shutdown with the power button - bad mistake as I couldn't get it to start up with a repair or install disk.

However, I did have a Kaspersky Rescue disk and got it to boot up with that.

It took over 9 hours to scan my disk - went to bed and left it running overnight.

In the morning when it had had finished I hit shutdown or restart - can't remember which, went to make another cup of coffee to find it running a chdksk when I came back and that fixed it.

Not saying this will work for you as it's not known what caused your problem, but you could create that disk and give it a try.

http://support.kaspersky.co.uk/viruses/rescuedisk

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Being able to boot up with the Paragon disk shows that your DVD player works anyway.
    The OP said..."I was able to burn this disk with my old XP machine, but it didn't work either. Nice suggestion tho."

jwoods
    You might try following the hardware diagnostic steps recommended by HP...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443317

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast