New Lounger
    Thanks

UEFI computer won't boot because I turned off all drivers using autoruns - HELP!

I was having some weird Windows 10 issues, which were not showing up after booting into Safe Mode, but which were present after a Msconfig diagnostic startup with all services and startups turned off. Googling suggested it might be a device driver issue, so I did something really stupid. I used Autoruns to disable ALL device drivers, presumably including some that are required for the computer to boot. Now it won't boot at all - the screen doesn't turn on, although disk is spinning. I can't get to UEFI options, and it won't boot from a Windows 10 install DVD (presumably secure boot is turned on). I had forgotten this computer has UEFI - in my old one I would have been able to get into the BIOS, boot from a repair disk and do a repair installation. Is there any way short of wiping the whole hard drive and starting again that I can get this computer going again?

All suggestions welcome

jwoods
    If you don't already have a bootable Win 10 ISO on a USB drive, have someone make one for you.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...e-upgrade.html
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-02 at 15:36.

Thanks
    With the computer off, press and hold the start button until you hear three beeps, then release the start button. That should get you into the UEFI setup.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestions. I've tried both.
    If I try pressing and holding the start button, the computer starts and then immediately turns itself off again - no beeps.
    I have created a bootable Win10 ISO on USB, put that in and turned on the computer - still nothing on the screen.

My suspicion is that something in the UEFI boot process is looking for Windows drivers for the screen and they're all turned off. For some reason it's not seeing the USB drive, although I definitely created it to be UEFI bootable.

Further thoughts?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    PS The Lenovo hardware manual for this computer (which is a Lenovo H50 desktop by the way) says to press and hold F1 while booting to get into the UEFI settings. That's not working either.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    With a laptop you can sometimes get into the Advanced Boot options by tapping the spacebar as you switch on, but don't know if this will work on a desktop.

I don't have an UEFI laptop but if you can get in then you should be able to select Repair your Computer if Win 10 still has that option in the Advanced Boot options.

To boot up with the USB I would think you would still need to change the boot order to boot from that or the ISO disk first before the HDD.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-11-03 at 05:38.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just another thought on this - as you have turned off all of the drivers, you may have also disabled the keyboard and unplugging/re-plugging may reinstate it.

jwoods
    I would start thinking about copying your personal files and data off the hard drive, and re-installing Windows 10 from scratch.

Chalk the experience up to "lesson learned"...