Thread: Cortana

Lounger
    Thanks

Cortana

I thought since it was touted so heavily I would like to use Cortana but I got so confused trying to give them whatever password they were after I just had to quit. I gave them every password I have ever had and they still wouldn't give me a code...and I don't really know what a code is either. Do they know how confusing this system is for gaining permission to sign in to cortana. I hope I am not the only one who finds this dreadfully confusing and enough to never use the #$@ thing. -Motiger

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What password? Once you are logged in to Windows all you need do is enable Cortana the first time you wish to use it. From that time Cortana should always be available.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Motiger (2015-11-07)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, It keeps asking me for my email and password and I give it to them and they say its wrong and that prompts me to give a lot of answers and they send me codes and I don't know what to do with them. Its the most confusing thing I have ever run into and I have done this for years. I have an account with MS and I use it when I log in but that doesn't please them. I don't know what do next but to have a drink and calm down. Thanks for your help. Maybe I will try again tomorrow. Security....humbug!!!!

jwoods
    It's asking you to log in to your Microsoft Account.

If you have a OneDrive account, try those credentials.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Motiger (2015-11-07)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I did try one drive and am successfully logged into one drive...but that must mean nothing to Cortana. I guess this all began because I have four accounts with MS and I can't remember what passwords they have. So I tried all of them and none worked so I followed their suggestion and changed the password successfully but after that they asked me one more time what my old password was and of course I still didn't know. I have devoted hours to this maize and nothing I do can get past the machine that is the unendingly reminding me they still need a password I still don't have. By the way I have about 45 passwords all of which want me to change them every 6 months and not to ever repeat them. I sort of feel if I could ever talk to a human I could work this out but alas, that isn't in the cards. I'm 74 years old with a weak memory and have had one heart attack and if I don't get past this I might have another one. I think the only think I can do is "walk away". So much for Cortana for yours truly. Don't laugh, with everyone asking for fresh new passwords every 6 months this could happen to you.

jwoods
    You might consider using a password manager such as RoboForm.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Motiger (2015-11-07)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you log into Windows 10 with a Microsoft Account, Cortana should be happy with that. You might have to tell Cortana that password. It probably has to be the same email and password that you log on to Windows 10 with.

My apologies if you've already done this.
    George