Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question How many have returned to the previous OS?

After many problems associated with the Windows 10 "Upgrade", I restored my previous OS. Even though the GWX app incorrectly said that my computer was ready for the upgrade, the driver incompatibilities (even though I have Windows 10 compatible drivers), alleged BIOS problems (although I have the latest BIOS version for my system that is less than 2 years old), and massive overheating (that almost bricked my system), I was forced to "downgrade" back to the previous version...

Windows 8.1 Update and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (with enhancements) run fine on my computer, but Windows 10 does not. Even with a clean install, I still experienced the same problems. However, Windows 10 does run fine on my brother's much older computers just fine, a testament.

Microsoft touts that Windows 10 has been installed on over 110 million computers.

My question is: Out of the 110 million installations, how many computer users have reverted back a previous OS?

(It is also interesting to find out how many computer users have an actual enhanced experience or increased productivity after upgrading...)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I didn't stay with it for very long.

I didn't like Edge or having a password log in and didn't really feel there was any advantage for what I do in Win 7 that could be done better in Win 10.

The only thing I was amazed at was the speed in which it booted up.

When it froze on me I had to factory reset to get back to Win 7 and then restored with the system image I'd created before upgrading.

Windows Updates has offered me the upgrade three times since even though the other relevant updates are uninstalled and hidden along with the three offers of the upgrade updates.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello.
    Not I, I will remain on W-10. All my machines are on it and run fine +++. Four of them ! I am not yet sold on Edge as it is a new app and as all of them, one has to get used to it, ie: where to look for what one wants. But it runs fine and the main argument is that it is progress, indeed it is.

One needs a bit of savvy to be able to find out why one's system is rebellious, once fixed, all is joy. I did not have to do any "savvy" process, all my machines are doing fine on W-10.

All best wishes. Jean.

Thanks
    I wouldn't go back if you paid me. Windows 10 rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    I wouldn't go back if you paid me. Windows 10 rocks!
    I wouldn't worry about that.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    I was mostly wondering how many mission critical programs were hosed by the update to Windows 10, and how many had to downgrade due to these problems. Albeit, Windows 10 seems relatively promising, there are many documented hardware driver incompatibilities (this being a major OS upgrade) and program inconsistencies that caused one to revert to the previous OS.

In my experience, not all programs and new (Metro) apps made the cut. Blame it on the software developers not being ready for this inevitable change, not all Windows 8.1/Windows 7 (and earlier) programs have been ported to this OS yet. Even with the advent of compatibility mode, I was forced to reinstall much of my software after the upgrade and I still had to downgrade for other reasons, such as hardware incompatibilities (even after GWX reported I was good to go).

This free upgrade had cost me plenty until I restored from a backup where the software ran normally (i.e. the previous OS). I experienced similar with all major Windows upgrades...

Other than the fact that Windows 10 rocks, how many reverted to a fully functional system that doesn't rock just to get a truly fully functional system? Think mission critical...

Banned Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up

There is no way in god's green Earth I would ever even consider going backwards. Win 10 runs beautifully, no problems or issues, @ all, of any kind. Does everything wanted & asked & does it well. Great useful Features and super-easy & pleasant to use & navigate... very enjoyable, stress-free & productive. Performance is terrific; including the performance of Edge. The changes from 8.1 are most welcome. It's great not having tiles or swapping screens, Hot Corners & Edges, nothing pooping out just a clean, pure approach to computing. Anyway, after using Win 10 for a year & a 1/4, would never have any interest in going backwards to any previous OS. The future w/ Win10 is a lot more enticing & better than, any Windows OS from the past. And Win10 installs, both Consumer & Enterprise, and all the potential that ensues, to & for IT Pros, it's sweet & refreshing. But, ultimately, the biggest benefactors are End Users.

Yes, it rocks!
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-11-10 at 01:41.

Thanks
    Per word or per post? That is the question!
    And to answer the previous post I for one have not 'upgraded' any computer to 10. Still trying to make friends w/ it. Maybe harder for me as I did not fully experience the trauma of W8

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    I found 8 much better then 7, so no trauma there. Been using 10 on my older desktop. Seems OK but I miss the full screen 'all apps'. The start menu is a bit better than 7's, but not a lot.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    I found 8 much better then 7, so no trauma there. Been using 10 on my older desktop. Seems OK but I miss the full screen 'all apps'. The start menu is a bit better than 7's, but not a lot.
    Sorry, I don't know your name. But, if you liked switching screens to that All Apps of 8.1 you may like this a lot w/ Win10... This will give an ALL Applications window which will sit, @ the ready, on the Taskbar. It can be made to 'display' in various 'styles' as one may prefer. All items show, be they Universal (Store) APPs & or (other) applications (Programs). Nothing is inside any folder(s).

Gets set up after booting and holds as long as the window is only minimised.

Steps:

Rt Clk on Desktop > New > Shortcut.
    Put the following in Location
    %windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}
    Change Name from explorer.exe to Applications.

Now, you click on the Applications desktop icon, get rid of the unneeded Nav tree, Rt Clk & select the View & Sort desired and Minimise.

Have used this since back in Win7 & right through 8.1 & Win10. All my clients love it, too.

Beats unnecessarily opening Start, digging through the All Apps list, looking in folders for things and (can be) somewhat similar to what you liked & miss from 8.1

Thanks
    Thanks Drew - I've already tried that and it's horrible. It's not a patch on the 8.1 all apps page. That's my opinion, you and others may differ.

If you want to be formal then my name is access-mdb. Informally it's access.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have heard that the Trojans really, really liked the wooden horse!

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Thanks Drew - I've already tried that and it's horrible. It's not a patch on the 8.1 all apps page. That's my opinion, you and others may differ.

If you want to be formal then my name is access-mdb. Informally it's access.
    You mean to say YOU find it horrible not, it is horrible.

Very comical about the name. Always great to have a good laugh. Obviously was not about a readable, visible, computer User Name. If not going to make it so people can use your name, just say so, no worries.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    But, ultimately, the biggest benefactors are End Users.
    Do you mean beneficiaries? Benefactors give, not get.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    You mean to say YOU find it horrible not, it is horrible.
    White icons on a white background are horrible.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    But, ultimately, the biggest benefactors are End Users.
    "Do you mean beneficiaries? Benefactors give, not get."

Yes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast