Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Alas Poor FireFox, I knew him well!

Hey Y'all,

Well I finally gave in and ditched FF! After it kept insisting on killing my GreaseMonkey Script for the Lounge (I reset it at least 10 times today alone) I decided to move to the DARK SIDE and use Chrome. So far so good the NPFL script runs just fine in TamperMonkey as does the Social Fixer script in FB. Privacy Badger & ScriptBlock are also working well. I haven't loaded WOT yet but it's coming soon.

I was doing fine with the FF update schedule until it got to 42 then things just started breaking. I'd reset them and they would work for a while and then all my add-ons would decide to update, no change in the FF version, and blow things out of the water. Well enough is enough I'm gone!

BTW I tried Pale Moon but it didn't support Grease Monkey!

FWIW YMMV
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is no one browser that works best for me. I actually use 7 -- FF, IE, Chrome, and Edge on various Windows versions; Safari and Chrome on an iPAD; Chrome on Google.

I prefer FF on Windows because there are certain add-ons that aren't available elsewhere. But I am getting tired of them constantly being broken by FF updates. Chrome on Windows tends to be a resource hog, but it's getting better. So, Ive gotten into the habit of using different browsers for different things. The only thing I use IE for is three web sites that don't work well in anything else.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    I have an internet filter on my computer -- American Family Filter -- and it works through Firefox, but no other browser. Therefore, if I want to use the filter on my computer, I am required to use Firefox. In fact, no other browser will work when I've got the filter installed.

AFO (American Family Online) says that their filter will work only with Firefox, not with any other browser, because of certain functionality which Firefox provides, but which is unavailable elsewhere.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As you said in the thread you started earlier "Big changes are coming for Firefox". It looks like they probably have. In the info. in that thread, Ver. 42 was going to be the one where the big changes came in. I'm planning to stay with version 41.0.2, and see who else gets the arrows in their back. Thanks for the report RG.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hey Y'all,

Well I finally gave in and ditched FF! After it kept insisting on killing my GreaseMonkey Script for the Lounge (I reset it at least 10 times today alone) I decided to move to the DARK SIDE and use Chrome. So far so good the NPFL script runs just fine in TamperMonkey as does the Social Fixer script in FB. Privacy Badger & ScriptBlock are also working well. I haven't loaded WOT yet but it's coming soon.

I was doing fine with the FF update schedule until it got to 42 then things just started breaking. I'd reset them and they would work for a while and then all my add-ons would decide to update, no change in the FF version, and blow things out of the water. Well enough is enough I'm gone!

BTW I tried Pale Moon but it didn't support Grease Monkey!

FWIW YMMV
    RG just what functionality does GreaseMonkey Script for the Lounge provide that the new posts button does not?

I did not see anybody saying that GreaseMonkey was not working on the PaleMoon forums, you might want to check again!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could go back to v41.0.2 https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ion-of-firefox

While I only use FF as a spare browser to IE11, I think I'll stay with 41.0.2 so as not to invite any problems.

Thanks
    David,

This:
    nfpl.JPG

I can quickly see which forums have new post, I only see the forums I'm interested in, when I click on one it opens in a new window with that forum displayed and when I close it I'm back to the displayed screen ready to tackle the next topic forum. I just find this so much easier to work with as I will see all the posts in say Spreadsheets rather than having them scattered around the new post lists. It's just how I prefer to work and nobody is going to convince me there is a better way!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    RG,

Expect things to break unexpectedly with Chrome, as well. It is our brave new browsers world. It's my regular browser, but I am not keeping undue loyalties to any software or brand.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I did try Greasemonkey and didn't get on with it. I like the new posts way. Mind you, if I've been away for a while and there's 3 or more pages, I will go along the individual forums and mark them as read if I can't see anything of interest to me. As you so often say, YMMV

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    David,
    . It's just how I prefer to work and nobody is going to convince me there is a better way!
    Not gonna try, did you check out GreaseMonkey on PaleMoon again? Suppose I could use it to put the search button at the TOP rather than bottom of the google advanced search screen?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    David,

No I haven't had a chance to do that yet. It's on my list but with a rather low priority as I have Chrome working the way I want. I will get to it at some point as I noticed how quick PM was.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Good for you!
    Could I use grease monkey to always hide the form on trulia.com (brokers pics)?
    David

Thanks
    David,

I got PaleMoon all setup, RoboForm was a bit of a challenge as it has to be done manually from the FF install, but all is fine w/the exception of Privacy Badger and HTTPS-Everywhere. Hopefully they will have updates that will make them compatible but I can do w/o them for now. So I'll give PM a go and see how it compares to Chrome.

I updated FF to 42 today and still no love!

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hey Y'all,

I found a fork of HTTPS-Everywhere for Pale Moon ... Encrypted Web.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hey Y'all,

One more small step I found Noia Moon theme to replace my Noia Fox which FF 41 had killed. I'm Lovin' PM!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast