Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Drastically Cutting OneDrive Accounts

I just ran across this and haven't had time to research it for veracity.
    http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-down...-us-1740243841
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If it proves to be true, it should be yet another reminder that none of these companies can be trusted to keep their promises.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just got to the Microsoft blog referenced at the end of the article, and it's confirmed. https://blog.onedrive.com/onedrive_changes/

It's only been in the past couple months that I have switched to OneDrive with an eye to storing more stuff there for ease of access and as a backup. Now they pull this <bleep> and cut the free account from 15+15GB to 5GB.

The folks at Google must be jumping up and down with glee over this.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2015-11-03 at 09:03.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a 10GB "Loyalty bonus". I guess they don't want me being loyal anymore.

Elsewhere in these forums debates are raging over whether or not Windows 10 is spying and cite Microsoft's promises. This OneDrive news adds more perspective to that debate, doesn't it?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tanstaafl

[Fascinating. This forum's editor insists on removing the all caps. I guess us old guys with acronyms will just have to finally accept Nasa.]
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-11-03 at 16:06.

Thanks
    I am hoping we can count on the EU to keep them in their place.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    At this point, I am starting to look at Google Drive (15GB free). It's available on iOS now and comes standard on Android. This also makes Chrome, Google Docs, and GMail a much more practical proposition. Might be time to start looking at ChromeBook as well.

I'm not sure who at MS was responsible for this decision, but they really shot themselves in the foot (blew it right off is closer) on this one. OneDrive has been tossed around and changed so many times over the past few years that what slim advantage it may have had until now is out the window.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

jwoods
    The FAQ states...

"Free users who are over 5 GB of storage and thus affected by this change can claim a free 1-year subscription to Office 365 Personal*."

How much can be stored with the new storage limits?

OneDrive free with 5 GB: enough space for approximately 6,600 Office documents or 1,600 photos.*

Office 365 with 1 TB: enough space for approximately 1 million Office documents or 330,000 photos.*

The paid version of Office 365 with 1 TB of storage is $6.99 a month U.S.

I pay more for Netflix.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-05 at 09:19.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    Tanstaafl

[Fascinating. This forum's editor insists on removing the all caps. I guess us old guys with acronyms will just have to finally accept Nasa.]
    After recent events in Egypt, I see the BBC are now talking about "Abta".

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JWoods, the main issue is with this change is the fact that every year or so, something about OneDrive/SkyDrive/MSLive/EIEIO changes. That's hardly a good track record.

I can't recall when MS upped the storage to 15GB or added on the CameraRoll 15GB bonus, but it wasn't that long ago. Now they are going to reduce that by about 80% - that's a huge cut.

Granted, 5GB is a lot if you are only storing documents and some photos. But by offering 15GB they encouraged people to use it for other things. I was planning on putting some Zip backups of some things - that option is now gone.

The bit about getting a free 1-yr Office account just reeks of bait-and-switch. A way to get more people to use Office 365.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2015-11-05 at 11:11.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

jwoods
    It seems like the change stemmed from abuse...

"Since we started to roll out unlimited cloud storage to Office 365 consumer subscribers, a small number of users backed up numerous PCs and stored entire movie collections and DVR recordings. In some instances, this exceeded 75 TB per user or 14,000 times the average."

You're seeing the same thing with cell phone providers and "unlimited" data plans.

MS is in the business to make money.

If they start losing money on infrastructure required to store data on OneDrive, they'll make it up in subscriptions.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    It seems like the change stemmed from abuse...
    That makes sense for unlimited but reducing the free by 80% sounds too opportunistic to me. I can see dropping the 15GB Camera Roll bonus but if they want to compete with Google they need to come closer than 1/3 the storage.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

jwoods
    I don't think they're concerned about competing with Google in the online storage business...they're more concerned about competing in the cloud Office applications business.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    I don't think they're concerned about competing with Google in the online storage business...they're more concerned about competing in the cloud Office applications business.
    Microsoft Docs is free with 5GB and Google Docs is free with three times the storage.

I'm not trying to bash Microsoft, in general, here. I'm just saying that these constant changes to OneDrive have created a perception that MS is flailing around blindly here. It's what has kept me away from it in the past and what's about to drive me away from it now - just when I had started embracing it as something more than a toy.

Even if I saw Office 365 as a good deal, these constant changes would worry me. What happens a year from now when they decide that a TB is still way too much and cut that back by 80%?
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2015-11-05 at 13:03.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Quite a serious "cut" (more like a mass slaughter!). I presently have: 15GB "Free"" plus 10 GB "Loyalty bonus" plus 15GB "Camera Roll" = 40GB.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast