New Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop stopped printing to networked computer-connected printer

For years I have printed wirelessly from my laptop to a laser printer connected via USB to a computer on my home network. Recently that printer disappeared from the available printers on my laptop. When I try to install it with the wizard it does not appear. If I specify the path, then it finds it but says it cannot connect. This is very frustrating. If I use a different laptop, that one will connect and print as usual, so I know that the network, printer and other computer are working fine. This problem seemed to arise just after I received an update from Windows 10 but both of my laptops have Windows 10 and received the same update (the computer with the printer attached is still on Windows 7).

Thanks
    Make sure the printer is actually connected to the network. Most Wireless printers have a maintenance screen that will allow you to connect. Check your printer manual or do a google (Bing) search of "YourPrintermodelName connect to wireless network" for specific instructions.

Jerry

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The printer is being advertised by the PC it is connected to and should be available to all devices on the network. Maybe the firewall in the printer PC is blocking access to certain IP addresses?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    ...Most Wireless printers have a maintenance screen that will allow you to connect. Check your printer manual or do a google (Bing) search of "YourPrintermodelName connect to wireless network" for specific instructions...
    G'day Jerry

According to the OP's #1 post the printer is connected via USB to another computer on the network. Therefore it must be a "shared" printer from the computer it is connected to, not a wireless printer.

OP should check the sharing settings for the computer that is sharing the printer.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I should have looked closer. My eyes centered on "I have printed wirelessly" and skipped over the rest. Its tough getting old. Thanks for the correction.

Jerry

jwoods
    You might try running the built-in Windows Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    The printer is being advertised by the PC it is connected to and should be available to all devices on the network. Maybe the firewall in the printer PC is blocking access to certain IP addresses?

cheers, Paul
    I checked that and reset the firewall, but I have had complete access to the computer to which the remote printer is wired to, so I doubt that the firewall is a part of the problem. I continue to have access to that printer from my second laptop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    You might try running the built-in Windows Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.
    I do not find a Troubleshooter by that name, but I have unsuccessfully tried the Printer and Network Troubleshooters.

If I try to reach the remote printer through Windows Explorer I can find it but it will not open and I receive this error message: 0x00000709

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried installing it as a local printer on the affected machine? If that works, you could change the port to (say) LPT1 and use the net use command to map it to the share, like this:

net use LPT1 \\<hostcomputername>\<printersharename> /persistent:yes

(The persistent switch makes it "sticky", so you don't have to type it out each time.)
    Last edited by tonyl; 2015-11-05 at 19:20. Reason: typo

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdsaunders View Post
    I do not find a Troubleshooter by that name, but I have unsuccessfully tried the Printer and Network Troubleshooters.

If I try to reach the remote printer through Windows Explorer I can find it but it will not open and I receive this error message: 0x00000709
    Try this Microsoft Fixit...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...problems/en-us

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I wish I could, but Fixit won't run on Windows 10

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdsaunders View Post
    I wish I could, but Fixit won't run on Windows 10
    I saw this in your post...(the computer with the printer attached is still on Windows 7).

I would check that File and Printer sharing is turned on.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I saw this in your post...(the computer with the printer attached is still on Windows 7).

I would check that File and Printer sharing is turned on.
    Yes, I know it is turned on because I can print to that printer by using a different laptop. The problem has to be in my laptop, not in the remote computer or its attached printer.

jwoods
    I would uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers (from the vendor) on that laptop.