5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2016 Run as Administrator

I've just installed Office 365 to have a look. Right-clicking on the Word icon offers "Run as Administrator." The main things that Google turns up have to do with activation. Is there some other purpose for this option? I recall Vista and Word 2007 required running as an Admin in order to open templates with VBA code and save. I skipped Vista because of that.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Why are you right-clicking on the icon? The ability to "Run as Administrator" is a standard right-click option - all programs have it AFAIK.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I right-clicked on the Word tile because I want to add it to the taskbar. The option does not appear with Word 2010, it does appear with Word 2013 and 2016. I'm wondering that the advantage is, other than relating to updates (which I found by Googling).

Thanks
    word.png
    Click to enlarge

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Noted. But it does not appear when I right-click the Word icon on the Start menu. In any case, that is not the point. I'm asking what the option does... what is the advantage, if there is one?

Word Right-Click.JPG

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richardbarrett View Post
    I right-clicked on the Word tile because I want to add it to the taskbar. The option does not appear with Word 2010, it does appear with Word 2013 and 2016. I'm wondering that the advantage is, other than relating to updates (which I found by Googling).
    It does indeed appear with Word 2010, which is what I use, and it has nothing to do with updates. Depending on how a systems Administrator configures a system, "Run as Administrator" might be required to allow certain settings used by a program to be changed, or even to run at all.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]