Thread: A near miss

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A near miss

I am away from home, from image backups and all that.

My fairly new Dell Windows 7 laptop appeared to start Windows (the Dell logo then the Windows startup graphics) but then just sat at a blank screen for a long time. I killed it using the Power Button and the same happened again on restart.

So I started up in Safe Mode but it was difficult to do anything as the MousePad didn't work. Eventually I worked out the key strokes to shutdown - and the PC started up just fine and has been OK since. Phew !

My question is . . . was there a better way of handling this ? If I hadn't worked out how to navigate around the Safe Mode screens I would have been stuck.

Thanks - I'm just planning how to do better next time this happens.

Martin

Thanks
    If you have the default setting for the power button, pushing it once will initiate a normal shutdown. Holding down the power button for 5 seconds or so will power down the PC as a last resort. Since you are in safe mode and not running anything, this should be ok but I would run a chkdsk just to be safe.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Martin,

If you are using your PC for work yes there is a better way. Get a portable hard drive like the Western Digital Passport series and carry your Image backups (or at least some of them) with you. You can partition the portable drive so one partition has you're bootable recovery media (my go to is Macrium Reflect Premium) and the other larger partition has a couple generations of images and maybe also file backups of your data). I always carry one when I'm traveling with my laptop and I'm retired! YMMV!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-11-04)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks both - good advice.
    It was having to use Safe Mode without a mouse that was particularly difficult. I was surprised that it didn't work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    I am away from home, from image backups and all that.

My fairly new Dell Windows 7 laptop appeared to start Windows (the Dell logo then the Windows startup graphics) but then just sat at a blank screen for a long time. I killed it using the Power Button and the same happened again on restart.

So I started up in Safe Mode but it was difficult to do anything as the MousePad didn't work. Eventually I worked out the key strokes to shutdown - and the PC started up just fine and has been OK since. Phew !

My question is . . . was there a better way of handling this ? If I hadn't worked out how to navigate around the Safe Mode screens I would have been stuck.

Thanks - I'm just planning how to do better next time this happens.

Martin
    Martin:

There may have been a better way to fix the problem, but I think the way you did it was satisfactory. One of the ways you can fix Windows issues is to boot into Safe Mode, then shut down and restart into Normal mode. Windows does some self-healing when you boot up; and so if you can successfully get Windows to run some kind of way (e.g. Safe Mode), Windows may fix the issue for you.

The only thing I would have done differently would have been to go to the store and get a cheap mouse to connect to the computer. But even that wasn't really necessary, because you managed to navigate your way around with the keyboard.

Jim