3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Had to change from POP3 > IMAP W7 & Outlook 2003=PROBLEMS?

My ISP forced me to change from POP3 > IMAP on my W7Pro & Outlook 2003 and I need some help.

Both POP3 & IMAP accts are active in Outlook 2003 untill I get a solution.

In IMAP:
    The msgs I mark "ad to blocked senders list" are not deleted. The msgs
    are "lined out", the only actionable indication the msg was acted upon???

How can I delete, move-to, copy then delete these msgs as they are clogging up my IMAP "in-box"?

In POP3:
    The msgs I mark "ad to blocked senders list" are deleted and are indicated in the "blocked senders" list.

Also, local experts are telling me IMAP is better as it has more features?? If so, I can't see them & I've sent/recd
    thousands & thousands of emails in the last 30 yr with no problems, mostly with Windows OE, WLM, Outlook, T-Bird???

What do I need to do to get this situation properly?

Attached Images Attached Images

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    With IMAP, when you "delete" a message, you only mark it for deletion, and that's what the strikethrough is for. You have to purge the folder to actually delete it (Edit, Purge). It's a bit like the Recycle Bin on your computer. You can hide the marked messages under the View menu.

You can have them deleted automatically, but you run the risk of deleting messages by accident (Edit, Purge, Purge options...).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    With IMAP, when you "delete" a message, you only mark it for deletion, and that's what the strikethrough is for. You have to purge the folder to actually delete it (Edit, Purge). It's a bit like the Recycle Bin on your computer. You can hide the marked messages under the View menu.

You can have them deleted automatically, but you run the risk of deleting messages by accident (Edit, Purge, Purge options...).
    tonyl.

Thanks for the quick response & tip, but my Outlook 2003 doesn't show those options under View/Edit, see attached images.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My IMAP boxes delete upon request, no strike-through here.
    I would expect deleted mail to go to Trash and wait for a set period before being deleted. Check the settings on your webmail.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    See if this procedure helps. Works for me in Outlook 2007
    http://email.about.com/od/outlooktip...in_Outlook.htm

Note that in Outlook 2007 and earlier, IMAP deleted items don't go to a Trash folder and are lost once purged.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    My IMAP boxes delete upon request, no strike-through here.
    I would expect deleted mail to go to Trash and wait for a set period before being deleted. Check the settings on your webmail.

cheers, Paul
    Paul,

MY ISP lied, for the um-t-ump time. They do offer POP3 and assumed everyone wanted IMAP. You know the story about assuming so I won't go into it here.
    Removed IMAP=removed problem.

However; because of you guys, now I know how to handle those lined out emails.