5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Get your USB devices out of low gear

TOP STORY

Get your USB devices out of low gear

By Fred Langa

USB 3.0 data transfers should be up to 10 times faster than USB 2.0 and 2.0 should be almost 10 times faster than USB 1.0. But many factors can cause your USB connections to limp along at a fraction of their expected speeds. Here's how to check your USB system's performance to verify that it's running at its full speed and what to do if it's not.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/get-your-usb-devices-out-of-low-gear (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

USBTreeView

If you don't want to have to surf through Microsoft's archives to find it, the USB TreeView software can also be downloaded from the developer's website at www.uwe-sieber.de/english

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jaydear For This Useful Post:

RussB (2015-11-13)

Lounger
    Thanks
    If you keep this type of content coming in the future, I will remain a happy paying subscriber.

Tom

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Win 7 64 bit desktop computer, with USB 2 & 3 ports on the front of the case. If I plug a USB 3 in a USB 2 slot on the front, Windows tells me to put the drive in a 3 slot for better performance, so I know that there is some communication with Windows.

So I downloaded the debugging tools, and after putting a USB 3 drive in a slot, ran USBView.exe. The screen that opens shows some USB hubs that I have connected to the back of my computer, and a floppy drive that is also connected there, but no USB drive attached to a port on the front of the computer. I tried refreshing USBView, changing the drive to a different slot, etc. Never recognized.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Harry