New Lounger
    Thanks

Installing Adobe's PDF Reader free version

I have got a new PC with windows 10.
    I'm dealing with a local administration office, many of their pdf documents can only be read exclusively by Acrobat and no other alternative reader but Acrobat. So I tried to install it, but I was annoyed because if I wanted to do this I had to install Google Chrome as well. I refused to do this but I found no way to bypass this obligation. So whenever I want to read those pdf in question, I go to an older computer.
    I accept that Acrobat being a free app Adobe has all the rights to set conditions but on the other hand it is my prerogative not to accept them

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not convinced by Adobe's DC (Document Cloud) model, and prefer to stick with my local installation. A number of sites offer downloads of old versions of many programs, Adobe Reader included. Be careful, several of them look dodgy so make sure that your protection is up-to-date. Others appear to offer downloads of stand-alone Reader, but then link to Adobe's DC download, which is where you don't want to be.

The Google Chrome download is NOT compulsory, just "sneakware", where Adobe is trying to sneak an installation of Chrome on to your machine, but you have the option to untick the box and get Reader DC without Chrome. Frankly, Adobe should be ashamed of themselves continuing to push "sneakware"; they have a secure revenue stream from all their business customers for Acrobat, etc. Do Google actually pay them to increase penetration of the Chrome browser?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnFleming For This Useful Post:

sotadelolm (2015-11-06)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just about every machine I've been asked to repair has had Chrome on it. Of course, that may not be Chrome's fault; it may just be an indication that the user can't be arsed to read things before they click "OK".

I haven't tried the latest version of Reader, but I very much doubt that you can't just untick the box to avoid getting Chrome. Software authors have to get their stuff out there somehow, so I don't really have much of a problem with it; it's only one more mouse-click.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

sotadelolm (2015-11-06)

Thanks
    All you need to do is de-select the optional download.

For example, using Edge:

1. Search for Acrobat Reader and click on the Acrobat Reader link on adobe.com.
    1.png
    Click to enlarge

2. Select Operating System (e.g. Windows 10) in Step 1, Language in (e.g. English or Spanish, etc.) in Step 2 and Program Version (e.g. Acrobat Reader 11.0.10) in Step 3.
    2.png
    Click to enlarge

3. De-select the Optional offer of Google Chrome by removing the default tick.
    5.png
    Click to enlarge

4. Click on the Download button to get just the Acrobat Reader installer with no other programs piggy-backed on.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-11-06 at 08:14. Reason: typo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

sotadelolm (2015-11-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, going this way it did. Many thanks for the wonderful help