New Lounger
    Thanks

Slow computer fix....

This is my first post, my question may be too basic for this site...
    My computer has slowed to a crawl which I was able to have IT guys or in house staff correct the problem.
    Since I do not have access to those resources right not, I am hoping to find some solutions that I can do my self to keep in action

Problem: Hardrive is running a lot, CPU seems to be running hot (fan running high and continuously), program start up, internet connection etc extremely slow.

What I have done is run MS Essentials, Eset antivirus, CCLeaner, Windows update, turned off all unnecessary start up programs, and uninstalled unnecessary programs which were installed on the laptop by others previously. Results perhaps a slight improvement in performance.

What I have not done: Defrag, any registry cleaner

As mentioned, this may hit at the ankles for this site, and I feel this question has probably been addressed a lot, but I could use some help or direction...
    Thank you!
    Ron

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronkirk View Post
    What I have not done: Defrag, any registry cleaner
    CCleaner, formerly called Crap Cleaner, is a Registry cleaner along with other things but the Registry part doesn't have to be run. I will first get the client's AntiVirus fully up-to-date then run a full/deep/whole computer scan. Then I install the free Malwarebytes and let it update then do a full scan. Following that I run CCleaner, have never had a problem with it Registry cleaning but I ALWAYS let it back up the Registry first "just in case".

For the heating problem it always helps to blow out the interior of the computer using canned air made for the purpose [no liquids in it expelled except when turned upside down] and always outdoors [no point making the spouses cleaning tasks worse]. Be sure to blow out the finned heat sink on the CPU itself and the power supply.

Defrag in later versions of Windows with large-capacity hard drives/HDDs is not always necessary but that may depend upon how many or often programs are installed and uninstalled. In that light CCleaner may help as there's always some bits and pieces of programs left behind.

jwoods
    A good place to start is running a System Health report using Performance Monitor.

In a Run box or Command Prompt, type perfmon /report.

Takes a couple of minutes to complete.

Thanks
    The absolute best solution is a clean install.
    A clean install will provide a good opportunity to install the latest drivers and program updates,
    and also remove registry and winsxs folder, and other bloat, or software component corruptions that you may not even be aware of.

There are additional things you can do, but they are very similar to what you have already done;
    1. Go through your services and set as much unneeded entries to disabled as possible.
    *You should know what you are doing here, or at least keep a notepad tab on the changes you've made.
    2. Eliminate all the exe's for the Windows updates you've installed.
    Hardrive is running a lot, CPU seems to be running hot
    You STILL have a lot running in the background consuming resources when they don't need to.
    Do a line-by-line program search in task manager or Process Explorer
    and hunt down continuously running background process associated with your installed applications.
    Programs that you are not currently running don't need to be consuming resources on a continuous basis,
    with the exception of some aspects of AV/AM software.
    You may need to go into some of your programs and fine tune their running properties.
    4. Defrag that mech drive with the Windows default defrag tool at least 3 times.
    5. No real need to clean out the registry unless you have a recent image backup to restore to.
    (I might consider this as a late or last resort).

6. Make certain that your hardware can effectively run some of the more resource intensive application.
    All of the above will amount to shit if your hardware is just too sucky, because you're loading it up with
    applications that are designed for fare more potent hardware, like encryption, or complex AV suits.

7. Check your PF, in this instance I'd probably just let Windows set & run it.

8. No cleanup should be complete without the use of Adwcleaner.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-11-05 at 11:32.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I have found that if I disable Flash in my browser, web surfing is a lot quicker. Before I did that, web surfing was at a crawl.

The only drawback is that you won't be able to view a few videos along the way. Small price to pay for being able to successfully load and view most web pages.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    CCleaner, formerly called Crap Cleaner, is a Registry cleaner along with other things but the Registry part doesn't have to be run. I will first get the client's AntiVirus fully up-to-date then run a full/deep/whole computer scan. Then I install the free Malwarebytes and let it update then do a full scan. Following that I run CCleaner, have never had a problem with it Registry cleaning but I ALWAYS let it back up the Registry first "just in case".

For the heating problem it always helps to blow out the interior of the computer using canned air made for the purpose [no liquids in it expelled except when turned upside down] and always outdoors [no point making the spouses cleaning tasks worse]. Be sure to blow out the finned heat sink on the CPU itself and the power supply.

Defrag in later versions of Windows with large-capacity hard drives/HDDs is not always necessary but that may depend upon how many or often programs are installed and uninstalled. In that light CCleaner may help as there's always some bits and pieces of programs left behind.
    Hi Berton,
    thank you for the information and taking the time to reply. I will execute on your suggestions. My laptop is a Toshiba Portege R705, it's operated flawlessly and one of the most reliable pieces of hardware I've owned. I wore off the keys off the keyboard and had it replaced, not a simple job. We cleaned the keyboard, mother board and fan off at the time so I feel good about the condition.

I have not backed up my data files for a while and am at risk with that, and will do that prior to doing the soft/hardware repairs or cleaning!

You're and ace, thanks so much for your time and advice.
    Ron

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    A good place to start is running a System Health report using Performance Monitor.

In a Run box or Command Prompt, type perfmon /report.

Takes a couple of minutes to complete.
    Great suggestion, thank you!
    Ron

New Lounger
    Thanks
    CLiNT,
    thanks for the advice and information. Didn't know about multiple disk defrags, good idea. This is a lot of great information, thanks for helping! Ron

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I have found that if I disable Flash in my browser, web surfing is a lot quicker. Before I did that, web surfing was at a crawl.

The only drawback is that you won't be able to view a few videos along the way. Small price to pay for being able to successfully load and view most web pages.
    I might try that, not a big video watcher and added speed would be nice. Thank you
    Ron