Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Love Win8.1...why not Win10?

Ian Paul on PC World just made a statement that I was curious about. It had little to do with the article he wrote but it struck me. He said Win8.1 users were very happy with their free upgrade to Win10. I do not know the source of data behind such a claim, but assuming it is true--and I can certainly see the possibility it is--raises a question for me: Why are you remaining Win8.1 users still using Win8.1 instead of upgrading to Win10?

IMHO Win8 is a superior implementation of Windows than Win7, but the arrogance of the user interface ticked me off. I wasn't alone.

When Win8.1 (free upgrade) came along I was horrified by the cloud implementations and reporting back to MS servers from a security standpoint. Which reinforced my rejection of Win8. But clearly my concerns do not trouble Win8.1 users which is fine.

Win10 is really a better refinement of Win8.1 and brings back to a point the Win7 user interface (sort of). So I must admit if you are happy with 8.1, and enough time has passed so that Win10 seems stable to you is it not time to upgrade? Or is there something holding you back?

I am seriously curious for your opinions....
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-11-05 at 10:49. Reason: grammatical and spelling errors

Thanks
    I got a little excited and decided to upgrade earlier than I thought I originally would, but the entire
    upgrade process went "slicker than snot", at least for me anyway. It preserved just about all my personal settings from 8.1.

Window 10's Windows Update is still a major issue for me, although not enough to not upgrade.
    I don't care at all for the forced updates with absolutely NO information about them whatsoever, after all,
    I'm a PC user, not a fricken MAC user.
    The privacy concerns in W10 are a pain but not much of an issue since they can easily be circumvented.

In my opinion W10 is a better OS than anything that came before it and all it takes a bit of tweaking.
    Wait, didn't we say this about every other OS MS has ever made?
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-11-05 at 12:12.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

JCitizen (2015-11-12)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe those Win8.1 users do love Win10, or at least are interested. However there is a very old rule with Microsoft that states, "Wait for the first Service Pack". Thousands of people learned this rule and want to protect themselves against early adopter problems.

Of course Microsoft also states that Service Packs are old hat and will no longer be issued. The thing is, I don't quite believe that and I'll bet lots of other people don't either. They may not call them Service Packs, but as the bard said, 'A rose by any other name..." Seriously, what do people believe that Redstone is? And if Redstone isn't an SP then what about Threshold?

Yet let's play along and pretend that Service Packs don't exist in name or function. It's still valid to not want to have to deal with random failures caused by the newness of the system. From that perspective waiting a few months or even a year can be a smart move.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    I got a little excited and decided to upgrade earlier than I thought I originally would, but the entire
    upgrade process went "slicker than snot", at least for me anyway. It preserved just about all my personal settings from 8.1.

Window 10's Windows Update is still a major issue for me, although not enough to not upgrade.
    I don't care at all for the forced updates with absolutely NO information about them whatsoever, after all,
    I'm a PC user, not a fricken MAC user.
    The privacy concerns in W10 are a pain but not much of an issue since they can easily be circumvented.

In my opinion W10 is a better OS than anything that came before it and all it takes a bit of tweaking.
    Wait, didn't we say this about every other OS MS has ever made?
    I agree with everything here, which mirrors my position, with the possible exception of the snot analogy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Given the horror stories here about the upgrade I'm happy to wait a little longer.

cheers, Paul

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    I agree with everything here, which mirrors my position, with the possible exception of the snot analogy
    Impressed w/ Win10, REALLY enjoy it, nary a problem, glitch or snag w/ it... has balked @ nothing nor fussed over anything. Does heaps & does it all well & fast. Anxious to see some Insider things in the non-Insider Win10. But, no complaints or gripes. It is the best, yet, but, not quite fair really comparing it as this Platform to past OSs.

Have done several Upgrades and nothing even close to any horror story, all quite the opposite.
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-11-06 at 03:59.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm running 8.1 on a desktop machine that shipped with Vista and that I subsequently upgraded to 7 and then 8. The reason I haven't upgraded to 10 is simple: I use Windows Media Center and Windows 10 doesn't include it.

I will say that I like 8.1 much better than 7, which I guess makes me unusual.

Fafner

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafner View Post
    I'm running 8.1 on a desktop machine that shipped with Vista and that I subsequently upgraded to 7 and then 8. The reason I haven't upgraded to 10 is simple: I use Windows Media Center and Windows 10 doesn't include it.

I will say that I like 8.1 much better than 7, which I guess makes me unusual.

Fafner
    Fafer,

For what do you use WMC? What do you do with it? Windows 10 does come with a DVD player for those who had WMC in 8.1. Also, things like VLC are available for W10.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What do I do with WMC? I use it to record the occasional TV program, via cables connected to my satellite receiver, and then to play the recorded program. I don't use it for playing DVDs.

Fafner

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Fafer,

For what do you use WMC? What do you do with it? Windows 10 does come with a DVD player for those who had WMC in 8.1. Also, things like VLC are available for W10.
    And folks VLC is also available in Linux!!!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just now updated two of my PCs to Win 10; the reasons for the delay is that I use both PCs to connect to by company's VPN network and until our IT department provided the necessary software for Win 10, I had to stay on Win 8.1.

I still have to update my Sony ultrabook that is running 8.1; Sony recommended waiting until the drivers are available and they promised them for this month.

I suspect these are the typical reasons for delaying an upgrade: lack of drivers for specific (perhaps old or unique) hardware, and lack of compatible versions of required software. And it doesn't hurt to wait for others to find the problems so that you can benefit from the fixes (e.g. don't upgrade until Service Pack 1).

In contrast, for Windows 7 I upgraded my desktop and laptop on the day that the ISO became available on the MSDN download site (I had purchased discounted upgrade licenses for both), but at that time I wasn't using my company's VPN network and I had been using the Win7 previews on my laptop for many months so I was confident I would not have any issues. With Windows 8, I had to wait, at least with my desktop, because now I was using the VPN.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I think you used "eg wait for SP1" figuratively speaking since with the advent of Win10 there are no (more) Service Packs.

Thanks
    What is the rush? Keep to the healing edge, don't risk the bleeding edge for important stuff (work is important, telecommuting is a lot cheaper than driving even w/ cheap under $4/g gas
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    I think you used "eg wait for SP1" figuratively speaking since with the advent of Win10 there are no (more) Service Packs.
    But there will be equivalents. Redstone (the Windows 10 release following Threshold) is considered by many to be the equivalent of a SP.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm a computer geek. I love Win 10 and upgraded as soon as I could.
    My wife hates computers, but guess what, she figured out Win 8 with no help from me and was amazingly proficient at navigating on her touch screen laptop, way faster than me. She says Win 10 is the same old unintuitive interface that she hates.

There must be other people out there like her who would prefer to delay the update as long as possible.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast