Thread: Which SSD?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Which SSD?

I am considering replacing a 240GB SSD system drive with a 480-500GB drive. What puzzles me is the price range:

480GB Patriot Blast for $135 to PNY Client for $259 (from the same source).

Are some drives inherently better, more reliable, than others? Does anyone have opinions as to makes to avoid?

Thanks,

David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For what it's worth, I've always bought PNY flash drives and never had a problem with any of them. So PNY gets my vote.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You are starting to get into some pretty expensive SSD territory. Have you considered just sticking with what you have and adding on a external drive? You can get a 3TB drive for less than what you are looking at.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    David,

There are a lot of factors that go into the price of an SSD drive.

1. Single Level vs Multi Level cells (Single level more expensive)
    2. Over provisioning, i.e. the amount of extra cells provided for replacement of cells that fail. This is why some drives are listed at 256 GB and others at 240GB (most likely has 16Gb of over provisioning).
    3. Speed of the contorller & cells. The higher the performance the higher the price usually.
    4. Reputation of the Manufacturer.

I currently have 4 SSDs in operation:
    • 2 Crucial M4 ( 128Gb & 256Gb )
    • 1 Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb (wife's laptop) {currently $87 on Amazon}
    • 1 SanDisk Extreme Pro 240Gb (this one's in my main desktop and flies) {currently $118 on Amazon}

They all work great and I haven't had a problem with any of them.

FYI: Here's the Speed Tests on the SanDisk Extreme:
    SanDisk Extreme.JPG

I'm sure there are other factors but these are the ones I'm familiar with.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2015-11-05 at 15:42.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Like most things, you gets what you pays for. A Samsung 850 EVO will be cheaper and slower than a Samsung 850 Pro. What you need to decide is how much you want to spend.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the inputs. Paul, I'm not convinced that you always get what you pay for, many "luxury" or "high-end" products come out of the same factories as the less expensive brands, brand engineering I believe is the term. What never fails to surprise me is how much people will pay to be seen carrying the "right" piece of gear be it a ladies handbag, shoes, a phone or a computer. Ladies handbags and sneakers have to be the biggest rip-off of all time. And faster and slower too are terms that are...well relative. Test gear can measure results to femtoseconds, but it takes my fingers longer to move from one key to the next than the slowest SSD takes to accesses data.

I do have an external 2TB USB 3 drive for data, but one of my main requirements is portability. I travel and take a lot of photos, and videos. Okay, by itself the drive is not heavy, but I also have a camera, and lenses, too expensive to put in my loaded bag. Then there's this HP Envy 15, it clocks in at 5.5 lbs. Again not one of the heaviest machines, but a veritable house-brick compared to my last machine, a Sony Viao Z550 which weighed 2.2lbs, and that included an optical drive. The HP doesn't even have the option of a second drive. A bigger SSD means one less thing to lug around, one less thing to get lost, or stolen.

I had been thinking about a bigger drive for some time, but until recently the price was the stumbling block. However, a couple weeks ago this machine hung with a blank, black screen on start-up. I powered down, tried again. After maybe two minutes the "Choose start-up options" notice appeared, and it hung there. Powered down, tried again. This time the "Choose options" appeared again, but I left it running. Perhaps 2 or 3 minutes later the boot-up continued and I eventually got to log-in. From past experience it seemed like it could be the SSD or RAM. I re-booted once to use the Win 7 Memory Test, it hung for about 4 minutes on the 'Windows is shutting down' splash screen, but then it did re-boot normally. The memory check ran, then it re-booted normally, but I didn't get any feedback about the RAM. Is that normal? Does it mean that the RAM is okay?

I ran Hard Disk Sentinel. The first time it said "Back up everything soonest..." (or words to that effect). Second time it said "Status of the SSD is perfect." I suppose I could go with the best of three!

I contacted the supplier, he seemed to think it was the drive. The machine,16 months old, is out of warranty, but the drive is still covered. He has offered to replace the drive, but first I have to return this one. If I go that route I'll be without the machine for some days, but with my wife just out of surgery I'm using it pretty much constantly, certainly several times a day. So I looked at the price of SSDs locally, that's when I found the 480GB Patriot for $135.

So thanks again for the suggestions,

David
    Last edited by Rhinoceros; 2015-11-06 at 16:10.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It does look like the drive is playing up and as you want to upgrade, now is the time. As you rightly pointed out, any SSD will be quick and you probably won't be able to tell the difference.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are some differences in the lifetime of read/writes for SSD but you are now getting into the fine print details.

Given your requirements, it would seem as if you have only two real options. Get a decent high capacity SSD or go for a higher capacity standard HD. The latter might add a few ounces to the package but would put a heck of a lot of storage in your machine.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Anyone have thoughts about SSHDs?

David
    Last edited by Rhinoceros; 2015-11-07 at 14:35.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Don't! There is no need to complicate matters further.

If you need speed get an SSD, if you need storage it's HDD.

cheers, Paul