Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Win 10 Build 10586

Hey Y'all,

The latest build 10586. Here's the PC World Article Link. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

This one took 1:14 from start of Check for Updates to fully installed.

Interestingly enough the Build Number does not show in the bottom right corner any longer! Getting ready for general availability?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I believe this is the GA version of Threshold 2. Winver makes no mention of a test build.

Jerry

Thanks
    From the Insider Hub:
    Here are some things we have fixed:
    •The issue where any audio playing (like music from Groove, or videos from the Movies & TV app) gets reduced by 75% for a period of time after a notification pops up from Action Center is fixed.
    •Pressing the power button on your Surface Pro 3 should put your Surface Pro 3 to sleep instead of shutting it down.
    •We fixed an issue reported by Windows Insiders where a disksnapshot.exe command prompt window would flash randomly. Jean take Note
    •Windows should now remember your previous login type. For example, if you log in with a PIN - it will prompt you for a PIN next time instead of another type.
    •We fixed an issue where Tab previews in Microsoft Edge were appearing as black if the page was not scrolled to the top, and web note clippings were also appearing as black.
    •Small form-factor devices, like the Dell Venue 8 Pro, that boot with rotation or virtual mode screen size set larger than the physical screen size should no longer experience a bluescreen on upgrade.
    •Apps and games should download from the Store more reliably.

Known issues:
    •After upgrading from one Windows 10 Insider Preview build to another Insider Preview build, Skype messages and contacts will disappear from the Messaging + Skype app. You can get Skype messages and contacts back by navigating to “C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Packages\Micros oft.Messaging_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache” in File Explorer and deleting or renaming the “PrivateTransportId” file. After deleting or renaming that file, go to the Skype video app and sign out of Skype and sign back in.
    •The Insider Hub might be gone after upgrading to this build. You can get Insider Hub back by going to Settings > System > Apps & features and clicking “Mange optional features”, choosing “Add a feature” and selecting Insider Hub.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, Jerry. It looks like the GA here. I had noted the Insider having been removed, why ? I got it back as per your instructions, nice of you !
    I have taken note of the disksnapshot being also removed, that was a curious item, bugged me but did not bother me in the least.
    Going to System in Control Panel, shows no Preview adjective, really looks like GA. I have not tried winver.

My Toshiba lappy is being done as I type at you, next will be my Acer and then a few friends.

Oh ! I forgot to mention, I am giving Edge an honest try this time.

All best wishes. Jean.

Thanks
    I assume you mean Insider Hub was removed. It was still there for me. I did lose Insider Hub when Threshold 1 was released and restored it the same way. As to why, you'll have to take it up with Microsoft.

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hey Y'all,

This one took 1:14 from start of Check for Updates to fully installed.

Interestingly enough the Build Number does not show in the bottom right corner any longer! Getting ready for general availability?
    Same time here. And, again, no watermark...

Insider Hub is always good reading.

IH was not gone in mine however...
    The Insider Hub might be gone after upgrading to this build. You can get Insider Hub back by going to Settings > System > Apps & features and clicking “Mange optional features”, choosing “Add a feature” and selecting Insider Hub.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Drew ( an anybody else ).

Have you ever done a Ccleaner run after a new install ? I do every time and this 10586 gave me 123 lines in the Registry to get rid of, seems to be the norm on a new install. I never save the Registry anymore, I just do the big "Delete" them all and zap they are gone.

I am only wondering what all these are, they obviously have to do with the new install as next day, I again run Ccleaner and I get one ( 1 ) line to delete but I do not delete this one as next time, it is back there, daring me to hit the zap key.

This latest run of W-10 is fine, and I am giving Edge an honest go. Not sold yet but getting there.

I had a go at Insider Hub too. As you were saying, Drew, the reading is very instructive.

All best wishes. Jean.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Jean,

I do 3 things as part of a new build... Run MBSA, defrag & CCleaner. BUT, I practice what I preach and do not touch the Registry, not with CCleaner nor anything else.

Now, I will say a couple of things to you in regard to Edge. We, already, know I like it. Some very cool useful Features and abilities and fantastic performance. But, aside from that... I have been at several IT courses and conferences in the last few weeks. Either things people have mentioned are covered or I have raised them, including Edge. Work on Edge did not end some time ago. One can except to see fruits of the on-going work and developments soon; certainly by the end of the year. As well, be it Edge or other things, stuff seen in the recent Insider Builds will begin to show in non-Insider W10s. This begins Tuesday and as I said, we will see manifestations in mainstream W10 from then through the end of this year.

jwoods
    Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) 2.3 doesn't list Windows 10 as being supported...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=7558

Supported Operating System

Windows 2000, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I am aware of that. There parts of 10 not fully or properly addressed by the current version; a new version is expected. I was not referring exclusively to W10 when talking about"new builds or OS installations... Just some methods I have employed for a few years.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I will likely take a bit of heat for this one. In th2 (10586) the ability to play the old microsoft games last seen in windows 7 is gone. They have worked with the easy edit in all versions of win 8 and win 10 up until now. I hate the new games as they are just ad displayers and money suckers. Hate them. After many years of addiction going back as far as I remember this is a huge problem for me and even though I have faithfully done my beta testing in fast ring this might be the straw that breaks the camels back.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    I am aware of that. There parts of 10 not fully or properly addressed by the current version; a new version is expected. I was not referring exclusively to W10 when talking about"new builds or OS installations... Just some methods I have employed for a few years.
    I think @handcuff36 (Jean) was referring to Windows 10...

So because this is also a Windows 10 thread, I thought it was worth clarifying.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    jwoods, hello.

>>> I think @handcuff36 (Jean) was referring to Windows 10 <<<

Indeed I was, specifically 10586. Have you run Ccleaner on it ? What are these 123 lines that are superfluous !

All best wishes. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    zine, hello.

>>> the ability to play the old Microsoft games last seen in windows 7 is gone <<<

I am surprised at this statement, mind you, I do not do any game at all. But my 10586 honours all my old apps, be it O2K, PF2000, PaintShop6, etc. ( A friend that I support, is even running Office 97 on his W-10 ). Not only this last install but all previous W-10 Previews and that goes back one year since I got on the bandwagon, ie: 10-05-2014. Have you tried re-installing the games, or are they part of Store ?

All best wishes. Jean.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast