New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 login and access

Please excuse me but I am new to forums. Not even sure what is on this forum page. I am fairly computer literate in that I can build and do basic repairs to PC's
    I recently installed Windows 10 on an Acer eMachine (eM355) Running Win 7 Starter, 1.67 GHz, 2 GB RAM. Note that I have never used a password to access the computer.

After installing Win 10 it ran OK but I was not happy with Win 10, note still not using any password to log in.
    After installing a free app from the Windows Store for which I had to log into using my MS account. No problem.
    Turned the laptop off. Turned it back on and found that I could not access the computer unless I first logged into my MS account (difficult password).
    I tried to no avail to bypass the MS login until I found a registry hack to bypass the login.
    In the end I decided I would go back to a previous restore point.
    In the process the laptop was restored to a bare basic Win 10 losing all my installed programs (including MS Office 2010) and emails.
    In the end I restored the computer back to its original purchase state using the original Recovery Discs. Again losing all programs, including Office 2010. I have now turned off all MS updates. Computer is running OK.
    Question.
    Daughter has purchased a new laptop (still in the box) running installed Win 10 for her partner for Christmas.
    I am concerned that when she goes to register the computer with MS she will be required to set up and then have to login using a MS account.
    Problem. They live in country Western Australia (30 kms from Bunbury) with a very patchy Wi-Fi internet connection via a disc antenna (sometimes no connection or it drops out) and on a limited data plan.
    Will she be able to use the computer without internet access?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    AFAIK Windows 10 requires an internet connection to validate, but after that it should be fine. What you do have to watch is the automatic updates which will eat up bandwidth. MS seem to think we all have unlimited connections.

I agree that the requirement to be signed in to install an app is ridiculous - thanks Apple!

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul,
    With regards to the being signed in to install the app, maybe OK. But what worried me was that my laptop then required me to log in to my MS account before I could access my laptop which to me asumes that I have internet connection because MS was also asking for a phone verification, I presume to notify you if someone else was trying to log in to your computer. I can't verify this now as I have reverted the laptop to Win 7.

Cheers Brian

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The additional requirements for "verification" are onerous in my view, so I usually give a false phone number etc.

Sticking with W7 has no downside but you need to run GWX Control Panel to disable the W10 upgrade - and keep an eye on GWS CP as it's updated as the goal posts move.

cheers, Paul