New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot Edit a record on a Form (MS Access 2000)

I hope that someone will be able to help.

I have a MS Access 2000 form which has the ALLOWADD and ALLOWEDIT set to Yes. It is based on the selected statement "SELECT MYTABLE.* FROM MYTABLE ORDER BY MYID". This application works fine on my computer and on three other computers, however on the client machine it will add, but not edit.

On the microsoft website, they suggest that it is caused by a non updateable recordset. However the select statement is so simple, I can't see why it would not be updatable.

Thanks for you time.

Dave

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot Edit a record on a Form (MS Access 2000)

Are all the machines running the same SR of Access and the same Jet service pack and the same Windows version and service packs? I've seen some pretty weird behavior between service packs and service releases. One thing to try would be adding the keyword DISTINCTROW to you select statement:

SELECT DISTINCTROW MYTABLE.* FROM MYTABLE ORDER BY MYID

See if that makes a difference.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

I found out the reason I getting this error is that there is a custom function which my co-worker wrote to check for PK/FK voliations on that form. We were using the date time picker control on the form, however, it does not show up in datasheet view. So, that is why the user could edit in form view, but not in datasheet view.

When in datasheet view, if the user modified a column, the function would be called to check the data being entered and could not find the value for the date/time picker which did not show up and would cause the function to fail. Then when the function failed, it would roll back the update (undo).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Then your simplest workaround is to set it to allow form view only.
    Charlotte