2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

can't find USB external drive

My computer runs an upgrade version of Windows 10 (from Win 7). My external drives worked fine in 7. I have a Toshiba Canvio 3 TB that works fine. My problem is an older Seagate FA Go Flex 2 TB that my computer apparently finds in some apps but not others. It has four solid white lights on the front panel. In Device Manager it is listed with current driver and a right click to Properties shows it is working properly. The screen shot of the Disk Management screen is attached. The drive is listed. The Seagate Disk Wizzard screen is also attached. There is no listing for the drive in the File Explorer. I have rebooted with and without the drive but no change. I have switched the Toshiba and GoFlex drives between my two USB 3.o ports and the Toshiba always works. I have tried plugging the GoFlex into a USB 2.0 port and still can't find it. The GoFlex is listed when I use the "Safely Remove Hardware" function and I always get approval to disconnect. I'll re-format it if I have too but would like to see just what is there. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Try assigning a drive letter to the drive using disk management.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, I will be watching this. I raked my mind trying to elucidate this problem. After your post, I had a look at his PRnScrn and I can not see a drive letter. Bad eyes ???

All best wishes. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Jerry, I will be watching this. I raked my mind trying to elucidate this problem. After your post, I had a look at his PRnScrn and I can not see a drive letter. Bad eyes ???

All best wishes. Jean.
    That's what drove me to suggest assigning a drive letter.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Try assigning a drive letter to the drive using disk management.

Jerry
    Jerry, THANK YOU! When I saw a one line answer to what to me sounded like a complicated question, I was a bit skeptical. I thought drive letters were always automatically assigned and did not know how to assign them. Now I do and appreciate your suggestion that got me looking in that direction. The drive is working fine! Sincerely, Paul in Cincinnati - Bengals 8-0

Thanks
    Glad to hear it. Thanks for posting back.

Jerry