Lounger
    Thanks

deleting/overwriting files in Acrobat Reader

When I try to delete a picture in Acrobat Reader, I get a message saying can't be deleted because it is open in another program. I have no idea what program is using it. Sometimes after opening the file in Reader and exiting the program, I can delete it. Other times even after opening and exiting several times, I keep getting the message. This happens in both Win 8.1 and 10.

jwoods
    Are you using OneDrive?

You can download Sysinternals Process Explorer and do CTRL-F to find the file and see what process is locking it.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...rocessexplorer
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-07 at 17:10.

Thanks
    The program is a pdf reader, hence the name. You can read pdf files and, in the latest version, you can annotate them but you cant change them. For that, you need the full program which costs an arm and a leg, or two legs if you take out a subscription.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. That would be true for editing, but I get same message when I try to delete the file. Actually I just realized I looked at message wrong. It says file may be in use by another user (or marked as read only, which it isn't)

Thanks
    So you are trying to delete a jpeg saved as a pdf file - not a jpeg from within a pdf file? If so, try Unlocker.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/unlocker.html

You AV may flag it because of the way it works, but its not dangerous.
    Last edited by Calimanco; 2015-11-08 at 10:46.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ltcafr View Post
    Thanks. That would be true for editing, but I get same message when I try to delete the file. Actually I just realized I looked at message wrong. It says file may be in use by another user (or marked as read only, which it isn't)
    Is it possible you were logged in as another user at some point, opened the file, and then the computer crashed (shut down abruptly)? If so, Adobe may think that the file is still open by the other user.

If my thought is correct, then perhaps the file unlocker spoken of by Calimanco (post #5) might do the trick. I'm not familiar with the program he is suggesting, but it sounds like what you need in this case.

Thanks
    You said you are trying to delete a file 'from Adobe Reader'. I do not have Reader on this box but many programs will not even have an option to delete a file that is open in that program, there fore I am wondering if you are trying to delete a file open in Reader with another file manager i.e. Windows Explorer. If so this will not work until you close the file in Reader. Even exit reader perhaps.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.