3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Malwarebytes anti-exploit and EMET

I installed a new version (1.08.1.1044) of the free Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (on Windows 7 x64), and during the installation it said that Anti-Exploit was incompatible with EMET (Microsoft's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit), that I should uninstall EMET and then continue with the installation. I don't want to uninstall EMET so I ignored the message and continued with the installation anyway- which seemed to work. The provided test program (mbae-test.exe) shows that Anti-Exploit is still working.

Why would Malwarebytes want to discourage the use of EMET, which apparently privides a valuable service? (My version of EMET is 5.0.5324.31804.)

jwoods
    Both look at similar things and may conflict with one another.

I dropped EMET a long time ago and replaced it with Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I thought it might be something like that. The problem is that Anti-Exploit (the free one, anyway) reportedly only protects web browsers and Java, whereas EMET protects any application you define to it. As far as I can see, you can't define individual applications to Anti-Exploit in the same way as for EMET, you can just define "Browsers", "PDF Readers", "MS Office" etc.

If I upgraded to the paid version of Anti-Exploit and ditched EMET, would I then have the same protection as provided by EMET? As Anti-Exploit costs $24.95 per year (about $A35) and EMET is free, I'm finding it hard to see the value. If there are conflicts, it would seem to be better to ditch Anti-Exploit and continue with EMET.

Looking at the "Advanced settings" in Anti-Exploit (free version), many of the boxes under "PDF Readers", "MS Office" etc. are ticked anyway. Of the non-ticked boxes under these headings, some are greyed out but others can be activated. Does that mean that these additional protections are actually enabled in the free version?

jwoods
    I personaly run the free version of MBAE, along with other mitigations, and have had no issues.

The paid version is customizable.

Like anything else, it's prudent to do your due diligence beforehand.

Lots of comparisons of the two online...this one from How-To Geek also mentions a third tool, HitmanPro.Alert.

http://www.howtogeek.com/223228/use-...o-day-attacks/