3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why is monitor auto adjusting?

In the past two weeks or so, my three year old Dell E170s monitor has started doing an auto adjustment when I turn my computer on right after the BIOS screen and before Win 7 boots up. In the three years I've been using this monitor it has only done that very occasionally, now it's every time I turn on the computer. Anyone have any ideas or experiences as to what may be causing this?

jwoods
    Try disconnecting and reconnecting your monitor cables.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I disconnected the VGA cable for about 15 minutes, then reconnected it. After that I disconnected the power cord and left it that way over night. The computer was turned off of course. This morning I turned the computer on forgetting that the monitor was not plugged in. By the time I got it plugged in and turned on the computer was in the later part of its boot up and there was no auto adjusting seen. I'll have to see what happens next time with monitor totally hooked up as usual. Thanks.

Thanks
    If the problem persists, then I'd say your monitor is beginning to go bad. Either that, or your video card.

Here are the steps I'd take to troubleshoot/fix it, in the order I'd take them:

1. Check the temperature of the computer, to see if there is an overheating problem. Use a program like speedfan.
    -- Sometimes the video card or some other component is bad, and therefore overheating.

2. Plug in a different monitor, to see if the problem goes away.

3. If you have a desktop computer, power it off, and then:
    a) Open the cover and blow out the dust, including where the video circuit is.
    b) If you have a video card, remove it and reseat it.
    c) Try using a different video card.

4. Download and then reinstall the video driver. (Not likely to fix it, but you might get lucky.)
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2015-11-09 at 12:07.

Thanks
    yes to the above but if there is an inf file from the monitor mftr available i would try that too.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I bought the monitor in 2010 because it was becoming hard to get a standard 4:3 aspect ratio (non widescreen) monitor. It stayed in its box for two years because I didn't need it right away. So, this monitor has only been in use for 3+ years by my wife and I for an average of 3 to 4 hours a day. I would hope a flat panel LCD monitor by Dell would last a lot longer.

No heating problem, air coming out of the rear fan feels like room temp.

Video "card" is built into the motherboard which, along with the fans and power supply, gets a good blowing out every 3 months to keep dust down.

I only have one older HP 15" flat panel monitor and I'll have to check to see if it will allow the current 17" Dell monitor resolution of 1280 x 1024. I haven't done this yet. Maybe Win 7 will detect its native setting of 1024 by 768. We'll see.

This monitor has worked fantastically for 3+ years with the Microsoft standard Plug 'n Play driver which allows me to plug any monitor into the computer. The monitor came with a CD that has some kind of a driver but I will try that as a last resort.

I have a feeling that the real problem is that I made a comment to a friend that my computer was running well with no problems. I should know better by now not to do that, but every now and then I slip! Thanks for your help. Next comes prayer, fasting, and asking for forgiveness for "bragging" about my computer!

Thanks
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    I bought the monitor in 2010 because it was becoming hard to get a standard 4:3 aspect ratio (non widescreen) monitor. It stayed in its box for two years because I didn't need it right away. So, this monitor has only been in use for 3+ years by my wife and I for an average of 3 to 4 hours a day. I would hope a flat panel LCD monitor by Dell would last a lot longer.

No heating problem, air coming out of the rear fan feels like room temp.

Video "card" is built into the motherboard which, along with the fans and power supply, gets a good blowing out every 3 months to keep dust down.

I only have one older HP 15" flat panel monitor and I'll have to check to see if it will allow the current 17" Dell monitor resolution of 1280 x 1024. I haven't done this yet. Maybe Win 7 will detect its native setting of 1024 by 768. We'll see.

This monitor has worked fantastically for 3+ years with the Microsoft standard Plug 'n Play driver which allows me to plug any monitor into the computer. The monitor came with a CD that has some kind of a driver but I will try that as a last resort.

I have a feeling that the real problem is that I made a comment to a friend that my computer was running well with no problems. I should know better by now not to do that, but every now and then I slip! Thanks for your help. Next comes prayer, fasting, and asking for forgiveness for "bragging" about my computer!
    You should be able to swap the older HP monitor with the one you're now using, to see if it has the same problem that your current one is having. If the problem stops when you swap them, then your monitor is bad. But if the problem persists, your video circuitry (or maybe the driver) is the problem. Or maybe too much dust in the computer.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just for the heck of it, I tried turning on the computer and not turning on the monitor for about 20 seconds. Then when I did turn the monitor on it came up showing the Windows 7 startup screen, and then the desktop and wallpaper. There was no Self Adjustment, and everything was fine and normal.

I never did anything to change this monitor from its default condition. It has worked great from the first time I hooked it up and used it.

Seems like this started happening right after I did a Windows Update so it's probably something they did (half kidding, and half serious).

Thanks
    My reason for swapping monitors is not to give you a good picture on the other monitor, but rather just to see if the same problem occurs on the other monitor. If it does, then the problem is in the computer. If the problem goes away, then the problem is either in the first monitor or perhaps in the first monitor's cable.

If the two monitors use different types of connectors (e.g. one is VGA and the other is HDMI), then you will need to consider that the port that the first monitor has been using might be bad.

You can install a video card to replace the built-in video circuit. If you have a video card available, then it would be a good test to install it (power down first) just to see if that makes the problem go away.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's my understanding that the computer gods look kindly upon the sacrifice of a turkey, especially at this time of year...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    It's my understanding that the computer gods look kindly upon the sacrifice of a turkey, especially at this time of year...

W98, ME, Vista ??

David