Thread: Slow poke !

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Slow poke !

Hello.

This friend who has zapped his Acer recently, got a new HP Pavilion onto which the store loaded W-10. It runs. We have a problem with the DVD-RW, it will not install Office 2000, runs and runs at infinitum. I got a USB DVD-RW and tried, same result. I then copied the CD, O2K, onto his C:\ and we found joy, it was quite snappy too. In the intervening process, I had removed Bit Locker and was looking to remove others when the above procedure worked. But the optical device is still blocked on installing anything, not on copying. Search me ! Working internally to the OS did it.

What could be the bone here ? Where to look and what to defuse ?

A funny : it also has Office 97 on it. We never had it, we never saw it, never installed it, PERIOD. I fancy that the techie who upgraded, at the store, to Win-10, trying to be nice, installed Office 97 too or was doing a clone. What a jerk ! We do not know where else it could be coming from.

Any solution will be appreciated. All best wishes. Jean.

Thanks
    Did you use "run as admin' on the setup.exe file? (rather than an autorun install)

And since misery loves company at least 2 others have this unsolved problem.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...350ffef?auth=1
    Last edited by wavy; 2015-11-08 at 15:23.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello.
    Thanks for your sympathy. As it is, I am quite happy after finding this work-around, for the time being ! I am now planning on getting back to his machine and doing a re-install of my OS. Something is missing in this supposedly OEM stuff. What can it be ?

All fine wishes. Jean.

jwoods
    "A funny : it also has Office 97 on it. We never had it, we never saw it, never installed it, PERIOD"

This may have been a machine that was purchased previously and returned to the store.

I would not use Office 2000, since it is long out of support.

There are free options available, such as OpenOffice and LibreOffice (which is what I now use).

Regarding the DVD drive, I would run a System Health report.

In a Run box, or a Command Prompt type perfmon /report.

Takes a few minutes to complete.

If there are no issues found, and other CD's/DVD's work, then it's that specific media.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-08 at 20:12.

Thanks
    You can always download a torrent of an unmodified copy of Office, and run the install from your PC without a disk involved. Then use your serial number to activate the program. But note that DVDs are picky things, and if the beam is just a miniscule off axis, it will have trouble reading some disks (and not others). Also, if the spinning wobbles off-centric at all, same result. Best to replace the DVD burner; they are very inexpensive.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello bbb.
    Thanks for the comeback. The machine is going back to the store. I will let you know.

All best wishes. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboybogart View Post
    You can always download a torrent of an unmodified copy of Office, and run the install from your PC without a disk involved. Then use your serial number to activate the program. But note that DVDs are picky things, and if the beam is just a miniscule off axis, it will have trouble reading some disks (and not others). Also, if the spinning wobbles off-centric at all, same result. Best to replace the DVD burner; they are very inexpensive.
    Please not w/o a hash check!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jean,

Glad to hear it is going back.

I will concur, running Off2k is ridiculous! ...Way too old to be a viable option. The evidence of Off 97 is absolutely unacceptable.

The issue w/ the optical drive is not software related. As stated, glad it's going back to the retailer.

Never recommend the use of torrent anything!

Thanks
    Disagree. If you know what you are doing, it is perfectly safe and legit. For example, I have been in Mexico for many years. Anytime I tried to download an OS or Office file from Microsoft, the DL page would revert to: a. Spanish and b. "you are out of the country so you cannot download this". Then, c. Will not accept that credit card.

Haven't tried lately because I don't need to. And have never had a problem with torrents, other than the fake download buttons that try to con you into doing something unhappy.

Thanks
    Lucky you
    David

Thanks
    No luck involved, fortunately.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Drew. You wrote:

>>> Glad to hear it is going back. <<<

You will never know the amount of shame that I now live. First of all, it was Office 2010 that I tried to install on my friend's machine, not O2K. We finally got that one running on it.

I now noted that the Office 2010 that I was trying to load is an upgrade and needed a prior Office loaded, it was not there until after I placed O2K and I never thought of then trying 2010. Tomorrow !

Live and learn, it is called. I should pay closer attention, I found out looking at the original CD for 2010, it stated the prior install requirement on the sleeve, I was using a copy made for archiving. This explains why all my machines could install 2010, they all run O2K.

Might I state that we do not think that it is ridiculous, we do not use that much of it and what we use is sufficient. All the fonctions that I need, Word & Excel, run very nicely on W-10, so be it.

All best wishes. Jean.

jwoods
    "A funny : it also has Office 97 on it. We never had it, we never saw it, never installed it, PERIOD"

Did you solve that mystery?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Cool update & explanation, Jean. What about the part mentioned of Off97?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Drew.

>>> Thanks for the comeback. The machine is going back to the store. I will let you know. <<<

No need and not being too proud I will mea culpa here. As I suggested to take the machine back to the store, I needed the original CD to show that it would not load. I got it out of my secure chest and read on it, UPGRADE ! It needed a previous Office to upgrade. Dumb, dumb I was. As I had O2K on it, I then and again tried my archived copy of Office 2010 and of course, we found joy.

Lesson in this binary world, never be too sure of what I do ! Thanks to all who responded here, I was the stump not MS nor HP.

No further action from Office 97, this will keep baffling me forever.

All best wishes. Jean.