2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Visual Basic 6.0 (Excel 2000)

On my version of Excel, Visual Basic 6.0 is buried in the macro menu. What I'd like to do is extract VB from the macro menu and create a stand alone icon on the desktop. Haven't had too much success trying to do this. Looking to be pointed in the right direction.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Visual Basic 6.0 (Excel 2000)

Assuming you mean VBA as opposed to VB6 (which is a standalone product used for general program development) there is a Visual Basic toolbar available.

To activate this goto Tools, Customize and in toolbars scroll down until you find Visual Basic. Tick the checkbox and close the dialog. You should now have the toolbar which has an icon that brings you straight to the VBA editor, amongst others.

Andrew C

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

As an alternative, Alt + F11 will get you into the VBE environment in Word and Excel.

There's not too many keyboard shortcuts I can be bothered learning- that one, I use heaps.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Andrew, I followed your directions and got into the Visual Basic Editor and the Control Tool Box.
    What I would like to know is, is it possible to get into Visual Basic without going through Excel first?
    How can I copy the VBE icon to the desktop?

Paul B

Thanks

Hi,
    Sadly you can't. VBA is not a standalone application and can only be used in conjunction with another application that supports it, such as Word or Excel. You would need to purchase Visual Basic itself to create standalone applications.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Rory,

The reason that I brought this subject up is that I purchased "An Introduction to Programming Basic Using Visual Basic 6.0" by David I. Schneider. This volumn included a CD__a WORKING model of VB
    Does the working model have some limitations that would effect my final project? Should I forget the working model and just stick to the Excel addition?

Paul B

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not the expert here but I think I can give you an answer. First, understand that there is a difference between the VBA that is part of the Office applications and VB6 which is a stand alone product not included with MS Office. Closely related and similar in nature but DIFFERENT!

VBA in Excel provides a way to manipulate Excel. You can even change the way it looks and behaves, but regardelss of what you do, there is still a spreadsheet providing the foundation.

I believe Visual Basic (VB) comes in 4 flavors: The Enterprise edition, the Professional edition, the Standard edition and the Control Creation edition (aka Working Model). The CCE is normally included FREE with the purchase of a tutorial type book. You would need one of the non-FREE editions to create a stand-alone application.

If your intent is to manipulate Excel, then the included VBA is probably all you'll need. IF you want to create an application outside of Excel, then you're going to need a different edition of VB.
    - Ricky

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That explains it.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Paul, you are correct in assuming that the VB working model has some limitations; most notably, you do not have any help files and when you complete a project, you will not be able to build a stand-alone executable. You best bet is to find a friend who has a copy of the MSDN CD
    Attached Files Attached Files
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Sam