3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Reconnecting Gmail account to my Outlook 2013 client

Upon posting this, I discovered that NO mail at all will download now, so problem now includes my primary account as well, which WAS WORKING FINE UNTIL i CREATED THE GMAIL CONNECTION this morning. :-(

Some background, then the latest issue. A month or so ago, I upgraded to Windows 10. A computer professional had to do it due to a hard drive problem, and in order to do so he did a “clean install.” Since then, I have been dealing with a myriad of optional settings, passwords, software changes, and a lot of settings in my Outlook including the loss of several email accounts in my Outlook 2013 client that were simply not there any more.

I’ve managed to recreate my primary POP3 account with Earthlink, and it has been working fine once again. This morning, I finally found some understandable directions to recreate the “new” connection with Gmail. Please note however that the directions told me to select an “IMAP” account, even though the previous one that worked was also POP3, so that is what I have done. At the end of the process I received confirmation the connection was successful.

At this point, I downloaded the mail using the appropriate Outlook button for doing so, and while I watched the usual Outlook indicator say mail was coming in, at the end of the process I found absolutely none of the mail from Gmail in my Outlook inbox? Likewise, a check of Gmail web mail shows it all still in the inbox there. What is going on, and what (if anything) can I do to get it into my inbox along with my primary account? Did I miss some obscure setting somewhere, or what?

Please help me. I have been having to repair, replace and/or reinstall my passwords and other options for weeks now, and this is the latest item on my to-do list but I am almost beginning to regret upgrading in the first place, but I've gone too far to quit now. :-(
    Last edited by decann; 2015-11-08 at 14:17. Reason: Update information

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One more question, and then I will wait and see if someone can help me. Since it appears creation of the Gmail account may be the issue here, would deleting it entirely then at least return my primary account at Earthlink back to the normal functionality it had until the Gmail account was added? Or, is there a fix for the Gmail account that will let both of them work?

David E. Cann

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    One more question, and then I will wait and see if someone can help me. Since it appears creation of the Gmail account may be the issue here, would deleting it entirely then at least return my primary account at Earthlink back to the normal functionality it had until the Gmail account was added? Or, is there a fix for the Gmail account that will let both of them work?
    For a couple of clients I have had to delete the Gmail account in their installed E-Mail Client, let them use the Gmail Webmail/online function for awhile then establish their Gmail account in their installed E-Mail Client and when finished let the client program download the messages. I always set the client to leave a copy on the Webmail until everything works, or not change if the clients travel.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Forgive me, I am close to an amateur in this kind of stuff, but can you give me step-by-step directions for accomplishing this, please. including properly setting it back up in POP (now that it is IMAP) format if that is what you are referring to? Thank you in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    For a couple of clients I have had to delete the Gmail account in their installed E-Mail Client, let them use the Gmail Webmail/online function for awhile then establish their Gmail account in their installed E-Mail Client and when finished let the client program download the messages. I always set the client to leave a copy on the Webmail until everything works, or not change if the clients travel.

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton, I've deleted the Gmail account from Outlook, and immediately my primary Earthlink POP account returned to working correctly in Outlook. At some point after a short wait I will try to recreate my connection to Gmail using instructions for POP since that is what has always worked before. In the meantime, I welcome any suggestions if you or anyone else has any.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    David,

There are many websites out there that will walk you through setting up a "new" account under the MS Outlook PC client for gmail.com, outlook.com etc.

I use 3 accounts myself under Outlook 2013. Search for "gmail setup for outlook" or similar. Be aware that you will need to set the SSL options in the Outlook account setup.

It would appear that your professional should have saved these settings BEFORE he did the upgrade. Most people will forget these settings once working after a few months.

Kevin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kevmeist For This Useful Post:

decann (2015-11-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just noticed this topic when reading the Lounge section of my Windows Secrets issue arriving this morning.

At some point in time, I could not download my g-mail using OL 2013; I used to be able to. None of my configurations changed in OL 2013 that would explain why, all of a sudden I couldn't download gmail using this email client.

Today I learned the answer; see the google link below. Perhaps this webpage will help some folks having this problem. gopher

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    kevmeist, I do have it resolved now, almost totally thanks to the following page that I found online:

http://pchelp.ricmedia.com/setup-out...ss-gmail-pop3/

I am slowly but surely recovering from a disaster (long story) requiring me to recreate all of my optional logons, passwords, and yes reconnecting a zillion and one mail filters that I have been using since Outlook 2000. I have saved, tried, AND REJECTED a slew of previous similar documents but this one is the first one I've found that actually gives complete step-by-step directions to connect Outlook 2007-2013 to Gmail IF you read it through in detail and MAKE SURE to follow the right steps for your own Outlook and Google. It is NOT a "one size fits all" process, so do not stray off of the right path along the way.

I hope this helps. It took me awhile to find this, but once I found it I got the connection done without a problem. Good luck to anyone trying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevmeist View Post
    David,

There are many websites out there that will walk you through setting up a "new" account under the MS Outlook PC client for gmail.com, outlook.com etc.

I use 3 accounts myself under Outlook 2013. Search for "gmail setup for outlook" or similar. Be aware that you will need to set the SSL options in the Outlook account setup.

It would appear that your professional should have saved these settings BEFORE he did the upgrade. Most people will forget these settings once working after a few months.

Kevin

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    kevmeist, I tend to agree with you that my professional "should have saved these settings BEFORE he did the upgrade" but I had no idea at the time that all of these options and other settings would be lost, so I never knew to ask about it or I surely would have rather than go through what I am going through now. I DO NOT EVER want to go through this again. :-( In short after trying and failing multiple times to upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home, I finally asked him to try it as well, which he did twice and failed both times. Then he saved my data, then did a "clean install" of Windows 10 Home before putting my software and files back again, but with Windows 10. I assumed (INCORRECTLY) that putting all files back would return them all to full functionality, but such is not the case as I now know.

I have learned a lesson here. He did get the upgrade done, but not without a cost in time and work to recover, so I am now paying that price to recover functionality. I had no issue upgrading my laptop, and it went flawlessly, but after this experience my wife and I are thinking long and hard before upgrading her desktop from Windows 7 to 10 as well. I would not wish what I am doing now on ANYONE.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevmeist View Post
    David,

Kevin

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    David,

Well, I guess if nothing else here...then you have learned a lesson and by posting here others can learn too. On top of settings in the registry and the likes of C:\Program Data folders...software guys like me squirrel settings away to allow programs to be configured the same way each time they are started.

K