Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Problem getting Insider Preview builds

When I go to Update and security I am told "There's a problem with getting preview builds. Your preview build settings need attention. Go to Advanced options to fix this issue." Advanced options says "Your security settings need attention to get Insider Preview builds. Fix this issue"

When I click "Fix this issue" I am told "Your security settings need attention. We need to change security settings on your device so that you can get Insider Preview builds. We'll fix this issue straight away; after that you'll need to restart your device". I click Confirm and then restart but then get the same message.

How do I solve this problem?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

jwoods
    Try logging on to your Insider account at https://insider.windows.com/ and re-accepting the licensing agreement.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    jwoods, thanks, I tried that but it made no difference. Do you, or does anyone else, have any other ideas?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

jwoods
    You might login to your Microsoft account here https://account.microsoft.com/devices and check your device settings.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Roy.

>>> have any other ideas? <<<

I had this too. I went to Settings -> Update & Security -> Advance Options -> then re-initialized the Insider Preview and selected Fast. Bingo !

Try this and let us know. Mind you, you will still have to go and look for updates yourself and if you do get any, they will not show up in the listing. Such is life as MS has more or less closed up the Insider mode.

All best wishes. Jean.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jean, how do you re-initialise the Insider Preview? Please clarify that for me.

Thanks, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Hello Roy.

>>> have any other ideas? <<<

I had this too. I went to Settings -> Update & Security -> Advance Options -> then re-initialized the Insider Preview and selected Fast. Bingo !

Try this and let us know. Mind you, you will still have to go and look for updates yourself and if you do get any, they will not show up in the listing. Such is life as MS has more or less closed up the Insider mode.

All best wishes. Jean.
    Just to make sure I understand -- you're saying that Insiders are no longer getting new builds via Windows Updates, right?

Been wondering about this, because I've been on build 10240 (Slow ring) since the end of July. I keep reading about people who are on newer builds, and yet they're not showing up for me.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Roy, just this way.

Settings -> Update & Security -> Advance Options -> then re-initialize the Insider Preview at the bottom of the screen.

Go to the Start icon, find Settings and follow the line as above. I do not say that you will be getting updates as before, no way, the Insider mode is gone, as far as I can tell. I get updates by forcing the machine to scan for them. The funny part is that even if I receive some updates, they do not show up in the "installed" list, I think that the Defender updates are not to be rolled back.

Version 10586 seems to be the one to use. All best wishes. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post
    Just to make sure I understand -- you're saying that Insiders are no longer getting new builds via Windows Updates, right?

Been wondering about this, because I've been on build 10240 (Slow ring) since the end of July. I keep reading about people who are on newer builds, and yet they're not showing up for me.
    Insiders are still getting new builds via Windows updates. You haven't been seeing them because you are on the slow ring. People getting the new builds are on the fast ring. I did read where build 10586 just got released to the slow ring so it should be available to you now.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Jerry. How are you ?

Are you getting the same presentation as I in so far as the Defender updates are not shown in the list of installed updates ? Also, they do not install automatically, I have to go "Search for Updates" and then I am offered them. Am I too fast on the draw, should I just wait for them ? I think that in the last week or so, I got 5 Defender updates.

0Updates.jpg

I guess that we are not supposed to uninstall a Defender update at all ???

All best wishes. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2015-11-11 at 09:25. Reason: Typo

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jean, regarding your post #8 there is no reference to re-initialising the Insider Preview at the bottom of my screen. The last item there on my system refers to Privacy Options, so unless you or someone else has any other ideas it seems I'm stuck with Build 10576 until the iso download for the latest Build is available.

Best wishes,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Roy, this is not a reply to your post but a run-around to get the .iso.

Getintopc.com has them all. C&P this addy : http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/

The third one is 64 bitness. Have fun.

Edit Roy. After you click on Advanced Options, you should see this :

0Stop.jpg

Make sure that you select the proper line so you get back to Insiders.

All best wishes. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2015-11-11 at 14:27.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Hello Jerry. How are you ?

Are you getting the same presentation as I in so far as the Defender updates are not shown in the list of installed updates ? Also, they do not install automatically, I have to go "Search for Updates" and then I am offered them. Am I too fast on the draw, should I just wait for them ? I think that in the last week or so, I got 5 Defender updates.

0Updates.jpg

I guess that we are not supposed to uninstall a Defender update at all ???

All best wishes. Jean.
    Jean, I'm seeing the same thing. I'll have to keep an eye on this and also check to see if Defender is keeping up to date on its own rather than via Windows Update as in the past.

Jerry

Thanks
    Jean, my laptop show no Defender updates in Windows Update History but the Update tab in Windows Defender shows a definition Update dated today. That leads me to believe that Windows Defender updates itself without relying on Windows Update.

jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, thanks for the head-up.

I never thought about looking at the Defender dialogue itself to see if there were updates. One more item to watch, for the fun of it.

Edit: Yesterday, I went looking and did find some very recent update action. Thanks, Jerry.

All sincere best wishes. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2015-11-12 at 09:19.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast