2 Star Lounger
    Waltham, MA, USA

3TB Seagate drive in Rosewill enclosure reports only 746 GB

I have a Seagate ST3000DM001 3 TB drive and Rosewill external drive enclosure (Sorry, no model number on the enclosure) -- connected by eSATA to a Powerspec G160 desktop computer with Win7 Home Premium 64bit -- computer specs are here: The drive reported only 746 GB when I first plugged it in. Other people have reported the same problem and some seem to think that iy is related to USB and 32-bit Windows, but I was using neither.

I seem to have solved the problem by connecting the drive, also by eSATA and in the same enclosure, to another PC -- a 2009 HP DV4-series laptop, also running Win7 Home Premium. On that computer, the drive came up with the full 2794 GB. I formatted the drive using Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management and then moved it back to the Powerspec, which now recognizes its full 2794 GB.

So, evidently, there is some bug in the initialization of this particular drive, in this particular enclosure, with the Intel RAID controller used in the G160 and other computers.

I had earlier had a different 3TB drive in the same enclosure, and it formatted correctly, with two partitions, ran correctly for over a year and then started having problems: the first partition would not be recognized -- once, and then I reformatted it, and then again, and then a folder in the second partition became corrupt. Chkdsk made the problem worse, somehow filling the second partition to capacity with invisible data. I had thought this was a problem with a sick drive but now I wonder. I'm going to run the Seagate drive in this enclosure for now with a single partition, and will report back if there is a problem. I have another, 2TB drive connected to this computer by eSATA, and I also have drives I connect by USB 2.0 and 3.0. I'll be running frequent backups!

I'm wondering whether some recent Windows update may have brought on the problems.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jsallen For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-11-14)

Silver Lounger
    More than likely the computer that fails to recognize the raw drive correctly doesn't have compatible Intel storage drivers. Once formatted on another system that is compatible then any 64 bit system that also recognizes GPT can recognize and utilize the drive fully and properly.

Riviera Beach, Maryland, USA
    Wikipedia: GPT (GUID Partition Table) > History

The widespread MBR partitioning scheme, dating from the early 1980s, imposed limitations that affect the use of modern hardware. One of the main limitations is the usage of 32 bits for storing block addresses and quantity information. For hard disks with 512-byte sectors, the MBR partition table entries allow up to a maximum of 2 TB (232 512 bytes).

Intel therefore developed a new partition table format in the late 1990s as part of what eventually became UEFI. As of 2010, GPT forms a subset of the UEFI specification. GPT allocates 64 bits for logical block addresses, therefore allowing a maximum disk size of 264 sectors. For disks with 512-byte sectors, maximum size is 9.4 ZB (9.4 1021 bytes) or 8 ZiB (9,444,732,965,739,290,427,392 bytes, coming from 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 (264) sectors 512 (29) bytes per sector).