Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Today's updates crash Outlook 2010

The usual swag of monthly updates arrived today, and I downloaded what I wanted, installed and did the usual reboot. Went to open outlook and the start page came up for about 10 secs and immediately shut down. Tried a few more times with the same result. Rebooted again, no change. Obviously was working before I installed the updates, so did a system restore and back to normal, so at least for my version of Office 2010 there was a bug that junked my outlook starting up.

Thanks
    See here.

It seems that KB3097877 is at fault for the Outlook issues.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Exfso2 View Post
    The usual swag of monthly updates arrived today, and I downloaded what I wanted, installed and did the usual reboot. Went to open outlook and the start page came up for about 10 secs and immediately shut down. Tried a few more times with the same result. Rebooted again, no change. Obviously was working before I installed the updates, so did a system restore and back to normal, so at least for my version of Office 2010 there was a bug that junked my outlook starting up.
    I have the 64-bit version of Office 2010 on Win7 only and that KB3097877 installed and no problem with it. I use the free AVG antivirus program and it scanned the messages without problem.

Lounger
    Thanks
    After installing the 32 offered updates early this morning my Outlook 2010 is also unstable. I am running Windows 7 64 bit with Office 2010 32 bit. KB3097877 was among the hotfixes I installed.

Outlook seems to crash when certain emails appear in the preview pane. Notably, all of the daily balance reports I have been receiving from Citibank for the last decade cause it to crash. Some other emails also cause a crash. It seems to have to do with graphic content in the email.

As a workaround I substituted a new icon on the desktop which starts Outlook.exe with the /nopreview switch. Without the preview pane Outlook does not crash as much.

My command line now reads
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OUTLOOK.EXE" /nopreview

Maybe the boys from Redmond will fix this soon, I hope.

Paul_L

Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a lot of news about this on windows 7 forums. Lots of people having all sorts of issues with this KB3097877 update, or should I say "downdate"!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I experienced the Outlook problems described above. Removing KB3097877 fixed the problem but if I restart the computer, KB3097877 is automatically reinstalled. Does anyone know how to hide this update? Windows 7 Pro.

jwoods
    Are your Windows Update settings configured to install updates automatically?

jwoods
    Microsoft may have re-issued 3097877...for some.

I am seeing a date of 11/12 on the Microsoft Update Catalog for Windows 7, Windows 2008 Server R2, and Windows Embedded Standard 7.

My list of pending WU's also have the 11/12 date.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I just ran a search for available updates manually and found that 3097877 was offered again.

I installed it and Outlook seems to be functioning normally when viewing html emails. I have switched back to starting Outlook normally.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_L View Post
    I just ran a search for available updates manually and found that 3097877 was offered again.

I installed it and Outlook seems to be functioning normally when viewing html emails. I have switched back to starting Outlook normally.
    You are a gamer man than this little black duck.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do have updates installed automatically. I think that I'll go ahead and reinstall KB3097877 and see if Microsoft has fixed it.

I'd still be interested to see if there is a way to stop a specific update from being installed while still allowing automatic updates.

Thanks
    There's been a new version of the update up for some hours already, I've been wary of advertising it too soon, I'd prefer to wait a few days and then check for news on how imperceptible it is

Lounger
    Thanks
    I notice that MS is offering this to me as well, I have opted to hide this one for the time being. I am very gun-shy about this particular KB considering the mess it originally made.

jwoods
    Susan Bradley advised putting this update on hold in today's Patch Watch column.

What to do: There are early reports of sign-in problems and Outlook crashes after installing KB 3097877 (MS15-115). Keep that patch on hold while I look for more information. Microsoft is also looking into the patch’s problems.

http://windowssecrets.com/category/patch-watch/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My problem with the Outlook in question, Win 7 64, is that it works ok until I delete certain items in the email list. It's been having this problem all day. And yeah, I update automatically at shutdown , which was about 1 am this morning. (I.e., last night.) I will ask for the new update and see if that fixes the problem. Will report back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast