Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

11/10/15 Patch Tuesday

I've never had an issue with MS updates (save for the squashing the Windows 10 upgrade notification fiasco) until last night. I have three Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machines that had 20+ updates for patch Tuesday. After installing, and rebooting, I had several programs that no longer worked: Object Dock - notification of a crash after loading, Search Everything - frozen when used, Outlook 2010 - frozen when used, Sidebar - would not load gadgets. This affected all three PC's. I immediately did a system restore and everything returned to normal.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, has anyone identified the patch, or patches, responsible?

Thanks,

Mort

Thanks
    I haven't looked specifically for bugs with the latest patches yet but I did just see this comment on a Brian Krebs article:
    Just a heads up. Don’t install KB3097877 if you run Outlook. This patch is causing Outlook to crash. I realize the patch is listed as Critical, but we’ll just wait until Microsoft revokes and releases an update to it to fix the crashing issue.
    EDIT: it applies to this article, which really is a Critical patch, standby for a rapid patch re-release from MS...
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-11-11 at 10:37.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I'll wait until, say, Monday before frustrating myself :>)

Thanks
    The Stardock issue might be related to a report I saw earlier on Desktop Widgets failing to load, I didn't see mention of which KB was at fault, hopefully the same one!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can confirm that KB3097877 is the cause. It seems to affect all versions - 2010 through Outlook 2016.

Uninstalling that update fixes the crashing issue.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shack View Post
    I can confirm that KB3097877 is the cause. It seems to affect all versions - 2010 through Outlook 2016.

Uninstalling that update fixes the crashing issue.
    Same problem posted at http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...03#post1030603. I don't have the problem as mentioned in my reply to that post.

Thanks
    It could be that Outlook x64 versions aren't affected but yours is the only comment that specifies x64 Outlook that I've noticed.

It's looking like it only happens when viewing some html emails, maybe the variability is down to email content (downloadable font? - 3rd party plugin? - Flash?) or some specific Outlook setting.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...eitproprevious

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    It could be that Outlook x64 versions aren't affected but yours is the only comment that specifies x64 Outlook that I've noticed.
    I also hadn't seen the 'bitness' mentioned which is why I did. I've seen some other updates that affected the 64-bit of things differently from 32-bit things and vice versa. And Office 2010 is the first to be available as either 32-bit or 64-bit.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I reinstalled the patches with the exception of KB3097877 and everything is back to normal on all 3 PC's.

My Outlook 2010 is 32 bit.

I appreciate the quick diagnosis.

Thanks
    I just updated my win 7 32 bit computer this afternoon and I noticed that KB3097877 wasn't listed so MS must have pulled it. It was listed yesterday when I updated and installed it on my Win 7 64 bit but since I don't use Outlook I haven't noticed any problems with it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just been notified about the updates after doing the system restore, KB3097877 is still there, but not checked, I have hidden it just to make sure.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After learning that it was causing Outlook 2013 to crash, I uninstalled KB3097877, rebooted my PC, and ran Windows Update again. KB3097877 once again showed up as an "Important" update. I can report that uninstalling that update stopped Outlook from crashing when trying to open messages with HTML.

You'd think Microsoft would have pulled this update by now.

--Larry

Thanks
    Interesting. It didn't show up for me this afternoon. Maybe they pulled it long enough to tweak it?? Either that or everybody has a different WU experience. Hmmm, maybe I'm special.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just checked Microsoft's page for this update, and found the following:

"Known issues in this security update

* We are aware of reports of crashes in all supported versions of Microsoft Outlook that occur when users are reading certain emails after this update is installed.

We are investigating this issue and will update this article when further information is available."

At least they're acknowledging the problem, but I don't see any indication that the update has been updated at this point.

--Larry

Thanks
    Ensure that you all have the latest versions of Flash and other plugins, this KB was mostly to block active drive by exploits (browsers downloading attacks specific to known vulnerabilities, probably malformed fonts and images etc.) from what I can see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast