Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 175 Times in 148 Posts

    Microsoft Admits Windows 10 Secretly Installed On Windows 7, Windows 8

    Supposedly this problem is fixed for the time being.

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...rtner=yahootix

    No, itís not just you. In recent weeks Iíve received a lot of emails from Windows 7 and Windows 8 users saying Windows 10 has repeatedly tried to self install on their computers. Now, after two weeks of talks with Microsoft, the company has admitted to me that the problem is very realÖ

    The symptoms follow two paths. For some they were using their computer as normal, were prompted for a restart due for standard updates and on reboot found the Window 10 installation was under way. For others they checked their Windows update history and found Windows 10 had tried but failed to install itself without permission over and over again.

    The most extreme example I have found of the latter came from one Forbes reader (who wishes to remain anonymous) who found his computer attempted to install Windows 10 on 31 separate occasions.

  2. #2
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    584
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 61 Times in 49 Posts
    I have set the Update settings for my Windows 7 machines to either

    "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download them" or
    "Never check for updates (not recommended)".

    Before Microsoft started forcing updates to Windows 10, I had all my machines set to

    "Install updates automatically (recommended)".

    Now I have the pain of having to Check for updates, and then review each update to see which are Windows 10 forcing updates.

  3. #3
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 175 Times in 148 Posts
    I've had mine set to "Never check for updates (not recommended)" for quite some time and just check manually a couple of times a month including Patch Tuesday.
    I also noticed that they slipped another Win 10 related update in this month, KB3102810.
    Now I have the pain of having to Check for updates, and then review each update to see which are Windows 10 forcing updates
    Yup, it takes a lot of extra time now to do updates.

  4. #4
    jwoods
    Guest
    Susan Bradley's Patch Watch columns are very helpful...

    http://windowssecrets.com/category/patch-watch/

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,748
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 649 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Microsoft Admits Windows 10 Secretly Installed On Windows 7, Windows 8
    Two to three months ago, and most failed? Yesterday must have been a slow news day.

    I don't believe Windows 10 has ever been "secretly" installed. One would notice, don't you think?

  6. #6
    WS Lounge VIP mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,396
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 404 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I don't believe Windows 10 has ever been "secretly" installed. One would notice, don't you think?
    I don't think that they meant that the fully installed product was a secret; I think that they meant that the start of the Windows 10 install process was a secret. In other words, Microsoft didn't let people know what was about to happen on their computers (i.e. the installation of Windows 10).
    .

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,748
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 649 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I don't think that they meant that the fully installed product was a secret; I think that they meant that the start of the Windows 10 install process was a secret. In other words, Microsoft didn't let people know what was about to happen on their computers (i.e. the installation of Windows 10).
    .
    "Secretly installed" is not the correct phrase then, but it does make for an eye-catching headline.

  8. #8
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 175 Times in 148 Posts
    IMHO I think it's the aggressive stance MS has now taken. In their opinion/business model, everyone WILL be on win 10 sooner than later no matter what their earlier promises were, unless you are smart enough to stop it. Your choice doesn't really matter to them anymore because it is not cost effective for them.
    If you don't like it, your choices are Apple or linux as far as I know and MS is rolling the dice that not many will defect. They are probably right and will make a ton of money, the name of the game.

  9. #9
    WS Lounge VIP mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,396
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 404 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    IMHO I think it's the aggressive stance MS has now taken. In their opinion/business model, everyone WILL be on win 10 sooner than later no matter what their earlier promises were, unless you are smart enough to stop it. Your choice doesn't really matter to them anymore because it is not cost effective for them.
    If you don't like it, your choices are Apple or linux as far as I know and MS is rolling the dice that not many will defect. They are probably right and will make a ton of money, the name of the game.
    ...or Google Chrome.

  10. #10
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 175 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    ...or Google Chrome.
    Yup, agreed

  11. #11
    Silver Lounger wavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    2,373
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 147 Times in 136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    ...or Google Chrome.
    nfw
    David

    Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •