5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Still no formal word on the Win10 Fall Upgrade

FIELD NOTES

By Tracey Capen

When Windows 10 was first released back at the end of July, the recommendation was to wait for the first major update before migrating to the new OS. That big fix for Win10 is due out any day now. Plus: Google puts another nail in the Windows XP coffin and adds another one for Vista, too.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/field-notes/still-no-formal-word-on-the-win10-fall-upgrade/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    No, no, no... you can cancel your Kindle account, and drop the eReader in the middle of the ocean. The books are still yours, forever and always.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just got update 10586 installed on my Win10 Home, awaiting for my Pro.

Thanks
    Got it on the Fast Ring a couple of days ago, but it doesn't seem to be the big 'Fall Release' they kept talking about...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I should have mentioned my update was for the RTM version. Haven't had the preview version running for several days [different computer].

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Got the update last night. I see some differences, like now I can re-name bookmarks (Favorites) in Edge (couldn't, before). Only problem was, 3/4 of the bookmarks dissappeared. I wiped them clean and re-imported them from Chrome. In Control Panel, under Personalization, you now have more options; the page looks closer to what it looked like in W-7. Only problem is, it's more about changing colors then settings. Big deal. The Mail app is the same way. I don't actually use it; just have it set up. You can change colors and designs, but you can't put the message & reading panels where you want them. It's stuck where they want you to have it. Grrrr.
    And then there is the bewildering array of settings to avoid sending all kinds of information back to Microsoft. I have nearly everything turned off.
    I think it's obvious Microsoft released this free, unfinished operating system to begin collecting data asap. They learned from Google years ago there's big bucks in it.
    Last edited by rje49; 2015-11-13 at 18:10.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down You have to be kidding me

The release date was announced before I got your column by email and well known to almost everyone who participates in the insider program

I expected better than this kind of column from you guys, it is as bad as Lincolns column about his Windows 10 trial on his ASUS Transformer - his problem was ASUS not Windows
    Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post

FIELD NOTES

By Tracey Capen

When Windows 10 was first released back at the end of July, the recommendation was to wait for the first major update before migrating to the new OS. That big fix for Win10 is due out any day now. Plus: Google puts another nail in the Windows XP coffin and adds another one for Vista, too.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/field-notes/still-no-formal-word-on-the-win10-fall-upgrade/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboybogart View Post
    you can cancel your Kindle account, and drop the eReader in the middle of the ocean. The books are still yours, forever and always.
    Not true, read Amazon's ToS. You don't own the books, you own a non-transferable license to read them on devices registered to your account.

"If you have more time on your hands and are less picky about what you read, Kindle Unlimited looks like a good deal."

The 'less picky' is likely to become more true over time, Tracey. Amazon is skewing the royalties from KU so that only bestsellers will get a decent return. I know of many mid-list authors who are leaving KU due to miserable earnings. The way it's looking, KU will end up being the digital equivalent of Wal-Mart book sales in stores.