5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 bumps up support-call traffic

TOP STORY

Windows 10 bumps up support-call traffic

By Lincoln Spector

A major operating system upgrade always brings new problems and a slew of frantic calls to tech-support services.

Queries about a new OS often go well beyond learning a user interface; drivers and applications have to be updated, and no amount of beta testing ensures that everything works.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/windows-10-bumps-up-support-call-traffic/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Good article. Perhaps a reminder needed after 6 months?

Thanks for the article and the suggestion for novices to wait 6 months for W10. Could you give us a reminder when might be a good time to upgrade?
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-11-12 at 05:51.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Watch the forum to see what people are doing post W10 updates.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just want to say thank you for pointing me to GWX control panel.Windows 10 started to down load without my permission and used up 3 g's of my data which is limited and then failed to install. (thank God) I didn't know how to stop this from happening in the future and GWX control panel was so easy to run. I'm a novice on the computer and this issue is now solved .THANK-YOU very much. Michele

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for this. I expect to upgrade to Win10 at some point but it will take some doing to tune it and adjust privacy issues after. No rush for that. Thanks for mentioned GWX Control Panel. I carefully avoided the GWX update which annoyingly kept being unhidden several times, then something else put it in again. Appalling there was no control to even get it off the taskbar.

Issue solved. I can come back to this when I have time and the OS is more polished. I used to be more inclined to be an early adopter but now now see the OS as the platform for my productivity and I don't want to mess with that until I can give it time.

Not to mention that upgrades used to be valuable. Now, the value question is less clear.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd like to read your thoughts on upgrading to Windows 10 in the Boot Camp partition on an OS X system. I have such a system. I'd like to upgrade the Windows side, but Apple says my mid–2009 machine won't run Win10. (I run Win7.) That's fine by me, but will Microsoft keep nagging me? I uninstalled the "nag" update, and I don't want any nasty surprises, y'know.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Recently got a Dell laptop. ‘New, Open box’, from Blinq. Great price but worried about warranty, would Dell call it ‘new’? Fired it up and spent an evening filling out so many screen forms, I was dizzy. Figured it was going to be considered ‘new’ and thank God.

The 15" lap is touch screen, which I’m not using much, and came with Win8, didn’t impress and why learn 8 when 10 is out? Downloaded. Don’t really know it, but I like it.

EXCEPT FOR; 10 and WiFi. Have VIOS, have 2 desktops and the old lap. Using my Dell and then WTF? No online, no WiFi. Did Verizon tech, crazy coincidence but when I went to a desktop, it wouldn’t connect. They sent new router. Installed, all working but the Dell. If I hard connected ( 802) I was online.

Now for 1-2 weeks after upping to 10 I was fine, then WiFi dead. Couple days ago I spent an hour maybe an hour & half w. Dell support. Gave him control of my PC and we went at it hammer and nail. It was a bloody battle, trench warfare. It got so down and dirty I had little boxes open on my screen that were B&W from DOS days. Too small to read, but probably would have been Greek anyway. As my Dell guy fought to get this straightened out, we finally succeeded.

End Story WIN 10 is culprit

Here’s the adviso. Whenever you download a program take due care, look for small check boxes, ‘makes this my default browser’, etc., they are usually there. A pain to undue. Second NEVER allow updates ‘automatically’, check ‘review first’.

BUT Here’s the rub, MS not longer gives you that choice, you download 10 and updates are every time you are online choice not given. ‘Tough titties.’ It was one of those ‘updates’ that blew my WiFi up.

An hour+ to get right???? BAD, BAD, BAD.

jwoods
    Key phrase in the article...

The lesson here — actually a familiar reminder — is to always back up your full system before making any significant changes to it. (And upgrading the OS certainly qualifies as the most significant change you can make to a PC.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to turn on my computers and use them, not solve problems or beta test 10 for Microsoft. May try 10 when most of the bugs have been cleaned up.

I upgraded from 7 to 10 on one machine to see what it is like. Required some peripheral driver updates, but my equipment is of recent manufacture, and supported. At first it was faster, but after a series of updates, which are automatic and cannot be stopped, my stopwatch indicated startup, shutdown and programs loaded slower than 7.

I did not like the frequent reporting of unknown information to Microsoft.
    I reverted to 7 within 30 days without issue.
    Last edited by windoz user; 2015-11-12 at 21:07.