3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re-installing Win 7 on a new drive

My laptop is about to go under the knife, something going on with the C drive (SSD). So I'll be installing Win 7-SP1 Ultimate from bare metal. Of course there'll be a thousand updates and the trick is going to be finding and blocking anything remotely connected with Win 10. I found a Major Geeks Web page that lists the KB numbers, and just out of curiosity I looked to see which if any had been installed on my present copy. This is the list:-

KB2505438 (Although it claims to fix performance issues, it often breaks fonts)
    KB2670838 (This update often breaks AERO on Windows 7 and makes some fonts on websites fuzzy. A Windows 7 specific update only, do not install IE10 or 11 otherwise it will be bundled with them, IE9 is the max version you should install to avoid this.
    KB2952664 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
    KB2976978 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
    KB2977759 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
    KB2990214 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
    KB3021917 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparatioon + Telemetry)
    KB3022345 (Telemetry)
    KB3035583 (Windows 10 upgrade preparation)
    KB3068708 (Telemetry)
    KB3075249 (Telemetry)
    KB3080149 (Telemetry)

Of these 4 sneaked in:-
    KB2990214 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
    KB3075249 (Telemetry)
    KB3021917 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation + Telemetry)
    KB3080149 (Telemetry)

I don't have the Win 10 icon so I assume that the infection is not terminal (okay it's going to be terminated soon when the drive is changed). But the thing that interests me is that there is no way to delete or uninstall any of them. Right-clicking just brings up "View details" & "Copy details". So what steps can I take to prevent infection of the new drive? Is it just a case of reading every last KB number and comparing each with this list? And if by some ill-chance one of these viruses gets in how do I dig it out root and branch? If I were to install GRX Control Panel right after the install and before any update is downloaded would that give me immunity?

David

jwoods
    You can pre-download all of the updates using the freeware tool WSUS Offline Update...

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Good tutorial video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAOvbNJYyE

GWX Control Panel will shut down anything already installed related to Get Windows 10, and prevent the OS from being upgraded.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-11 at 21:13.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2015-11-12)

Thanks
    LOL:

KB2670838 (This update often breaks AERO on Windows 7 and makes some fonts on websites fuzzy. A Windows 7 specific update only, do not install IE10 or 11 otherwise it will be bundled with them, IE9 is the max version you should install to avoid this.
    This is the one I mentioned earlier, JW; after putting up with the graphics issues with it on and off for months, on 2 different PCs. I kept reinstalling it to test whether anything had changed but only the blurb on the KB page from MS had - 8 times in the first 10 months last time I checked, each time only to reduce the list of 'known issues' - jokers.

I bit the bullet and wiped/reinstalled this PC back ~May this year, once I'd installed the hardware drivers, I set off to install it again and upgrade IE. It works fine.

So David, don't fret over that KB, install it as early as you can - worked for me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2015-11-12)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What's wrong with the SSD?

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, GRX will be the first thing I install. And Paul I posted a question in Hardware about SSDs, so to summarize:-

"A couple weeks ago this machine hung with a blank, black screen on start-up. I powered down, tried again. After maybe two minutes the "Choose start-up options" notice appeared, and it hung there. Powered down, tried again. This time the "Choose options" appeared again, but I left it running...I eventually got to log-in. Haven't switched off since except to use the Win 7 Memory Test, it hung for about 4 minutes on the 'Windows is shutting down' splash screen, but then it did re-boot normally. The memory check ran, then it re-booted normally, but I didn't get any feedback about the RAM. Is that normal? Does it mean that the RAM is okay?

"I contacted the supplier, he seemed to think it was the drive. The machine,16 months old, is out of warranty, but the drive is still covered. He has offered to replace the drive, but first I have to return this one. If I go that route I'll be without the machine for some days, but with my wife just out of surgery I'm using it pretty much constantly, certainly several times a day."

I asked about SSHDs, and Paul you said "don't go there", but the very next day I was offered a brand new 1TB Seagate SSHD...for free! That a hard offer to turn down. I suppose I could decline the offer gracefully if hybrid drives really are bad news. Haven't started on the replacement yet, but am greatly encouraged by JWoods WSUS download link.

David

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Free disk =

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    You can pre-download all of the updates using the freeware tool WSUS Offline Update...

http://download.wsusoffline.net/
    I downloaded the WSUS file, watched the video, extracted as shown. So far so good. But when I run the .exe file I get a warning:

"The script path must not be more than 192 characters long and must not contain any of the following ...."

(I'd post a clipping tool image but haven't worked out how to do that). I looked at the wsus Website, there's a forum, but the latest post that I could see was 2012 so it wouldn't seem to be very active. Any suggestions for this road block?

David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Disregard my last post. I started over and got the same outcome, so I did it a third time, to be sure to be sure. And it worked! Someone once said that "to repeatedly carry out the same actions while expecting a different outcome was a sure sign of madness." Well maybe, but not always.

Thanks guys.

David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros View Post
    I downloaded the WSUS file, watched the video, extracted as shown. So far so good. But when I run the .exe file I get a warning:

"The script path must not be more than 192 characters long and must not contain any of the following ...."
    That could be the result of where you extracted the WSUS folder to. (I know you said it eventually worked, but the problem could recur in the future so it's worth understanding why it happened.)

I didn't watch the whole video, but did check the part to see what you meant by "extracted as shown". I noted that in the video he extracted the wsusoffline folder into the same folder in which the zipfile was downloaded. That's not really great advice. Depending on your browser configuration, that location could possibly be buried very deep in a series of nested subdirectories. His location was c:\users\{account}\downloads, but yours could be much lengthier. The result is that when the program runs, its scripts could be prepended with a very lengthy string specifying the starting location of the wsusoffline folder, which could potentially cause the error msg you encountered.

The solution is very simple: just drag the entire wsusoffline folder out to a location closer to the root directory. In fact, I recommend putting the wsusoffline folder on an external usb drive or flashdrive, and plugging it in only when you want to update a computer (any computer) or update the offline repository.

Also, two other tips:

Make sure you add the KBs (from post #1) that you want to blacklist to the client\exclude\excludelist.txt file. Otherwise, WSUS Offline will install them and you'll be back in trouble again.

Make sure you turn automatic updates off, or at least to the "let me choose" setting. Otherwise, Windows Update will go online and install the unwanted updates again.

My recommendation is to leave WU turned off and just use WSUS Offline every few months in lieu of WU. Keep your excludelist.txt file tweaked with updates you want blacklisted, and you won't have to wrestle with trying to uninstall unwanted updates after the fact.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    That could be the result of where you extracted the WSUS folder to. (I know you said it eventually worked, but the problem could recur in the future so it's worth understanding why it happened.)

I noted that in the video he extracted the wsusoffline folder into the same folder in which the zipfile was downloaded. That's not really great advice. Depending on your browser configuration, that location could possibly be buried very deep in a series of nested subdirectories.
    Also, two other tips:

Make sure you add the KBs (from post #1) that you want to blacklist to the client\exclude\excludelist.txt file. Otherwise, WSUS Offline will install them and you'll be back in trouble again.

Make sure you turn automatic updates off, or at least to the "let me choose" setting. Otherwise, Windows Update will go online and install the unwanted updates again.
    Thank you very much for the very full response. I actually unzipped the file to C:\Utilities\WSUS. That's a folder I use for useful bits and pieces like Speccy, Move on Boot, Recuva etc. However, third time around I just went with the default destination, as you say doesn't seem like the best place for it, but it worked. I'll move it to a USB drive as you suggest.

Win Update is set to "Check but let me decide", and I never update until Susan Bradley has given her seal of approval. And thanks for the tip about the exclude list, I hadn't seen that. Curiously I copied the Download Log file into Word and did a search for each of the KBs that relate to Win 10, but none were found. Still a bit puzzled by that.

David

Thanks
    See #9 post by Fsbn at: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1030941

The link in that #9 post is to a M$ article "Installing and searching for updates is slow and high CPU usage occurs in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.