0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Opera or Firefox for XP Pro SP3?

In WIN Secretes November 12, 2015
    http://chrome.blogspot.com/2015/11/u...m-support.html
    Time for XP and Vista users to dump Chrome
    A Nov. 10 Google Chrome Blog post notes that Google will no longer send out updates and security fixes for Chrome on XP and Vista.
    But there's no need to panic; the new policy reportedly starts in April, 2016

Therefore, for those of us who do nicely running XP Pro SP3 and Win Update off with Avast Internet Security, SpyBot SD and MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit using Chrome as a browser which is now being sent to browser abis for non-support of Win XP, which browser of choice would be best to use....Firefox or Opera?
    I'm really leaning towards Opera for compatibility reasons after using Chrome.

Cheers

Jeff

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If your XP machine is old, Opera might not install. The last time I tried it, it wouldn't, but it was a machine I built in 2003! I think it's something to do with the processor's instruction set; I had a similar problem with Malwarebytes, now resolved. So really, it depends on your hardware.

On the other hand, Firefox works beautifully with XP, even down to integrating nicely with your desktop theme.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    If your XP machine is old, Opera might not install. The last time I tried it, it wouldn't, but it was a machine I built in 2003! I think it's something to do with the processor's instruction set; I had a similar problem with Malwarebytes, now resolved. So really, it depends on your hardware.

On the other hand, Firefox works beautifully with XP, even down to integrating nicely with your desktop theme.
    Hi Tony,
    Thanks for the reply.
    The machine is a
    '05 Dell 8400,
    P-IV "Prescott" 550 @ 3.4 GHz w/ water thermal cooler
    w/ HyperThread & a 800 MHz FSB w/ 1 MB cache
    1.5 GB's DDR2 PC2-3200 240 Pin @ 400 MHz
    MMB - Intel 925X chip set,
    128MB PCI Express ATI Radeon X300SE
    Phillips 16x DVD +\- RW w/dbl layer write & CD RW combo
    Phillips 16x DVD ROM, XP Pro Media Edition
    WD 250 GB EIDE SATA 7200 RPM HHD (which needs an upgrade badly, spanking procrastinating operator in charge )
    At least I toot out the dust bunnies less than yearly.

Anyways, what has me leaning towards Opera v33.0.1990... is the compatibility with Chrome's browser extensions
    and it's user interface similarity not to mention it's APP set that plays nicely with Chrome's APP set.
    So far, no problems installing any other softwares on this machine. (Although that might occur with this browser, not saying it won't )
    Maybe my machine's new enough with the right hardware to take it ok, who knows?

Opera's website also sways me with it's new bookmark syncing feature, their ''fast browser option'' since I'm in the country with
    a relatively slow (128kb up/256kb down) DSL connection, over 100 extensions to customize with, a choice of search engines for the web address/search bar,
    secure browser with VPN SurfEasy on wifi, the visual bookmark option is enticing too and that Discover feature is a nice addition to quick access of frequently visited websites.
    That sync feature would be nice with the laptops and browser boost in speed too.

I didn't see a feature package quite as enticing with Firefox. Just saying....

What I'd like to hear is a critique of the new Opera v33.0.1990... and how well it plays with the 2005 WIN XP Pro SP3 machines like mine.
    Not that I didn't appreciate your assessment and opinion of Firefox and how well it's played with your older 2003 WIN XP machine.

http://www.opera.com/computer

Thanks again.

Cheers

Jeff

Last edited by jstasney; 2015-11-12 at 11:47.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, I used to be a big fan of Opera, but it started to get a bit...well, cludgy. I decided to go back to it one day; that's how I found out it wouldn't fly. I hope it works for you; you'll soon know, as the installer won't even run if it's not compatible. I'd download it and try it; at least you'll know.

Thanks
    Pale moon might be an option for you a FF kinda spinoff w/o th e new FF crap. Running on my w7 box
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Tony, but, I think I'll wait and see what some others have to say in response to the query.
    Actually, I thought I might interest my old buddy Fred Langa in this thread.
    He's helped this old salt numerous times in the past and his input would be most welcome.
    I've got it downloaded already and really, pulling the trigger is almost there.

Cheers

Jeff

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Wavy,

Thanks for the reply.
    I'd looked at Pale Moon, as well.
    Staying compatible and updated for the WIN XP box is my priority, at the moment.
    If they can do that, it's in the running.

Cheers

Jeff