New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 Start menu disabled

I'm surprised and curious.... can find no posts regarding the Windows 10 start menu suddenly stopped working. Over on the Microsoft forum there are hundreds (honest) of complaints, as yet unaddressed by Microsoft. I'm one of them. My Start menu is still present, but when I click on it, either nothing happens or I get a message titled "Critical Error" and everything freezes so I have to reboot. Everything is fine so long as I don't click the deadly Start menu icon. I can right-click it and get some functions, but can't get down to the things that were previously available through the Start menu, such as Office or the Solitaire games.

The most often suggested remedy is to create a new user and use that account. Yes, that does work but it doesn't explain the problem or fix it.

Anyone have this experience??? Thanks for any ideas.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JaneH For This Useful Post:

Kudrinskaya (2016-02-29)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This seems to have been the bane of Win 10 and this guy has published some suggestion in how to fix it.

It would seem that MS don't even know why it happens as they would have fixed by now (?)

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/comp...11364000314532

Thanks
    You might try installing Classic Shell. The purpose of Classic Shell is to give you a Windows 7 style interface / start button. It may give you a functioning start button; but if you prefer the Windows 10 style start button, it may not be exactly to your liking. But I think it's worth a try to see if it will give you a functioning start button of some sort.

Disclaimer: I use Classic Shell on Windows 8.1, and I like it; but I've never installed it on Windows 10.