Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading an x-99 machine to Win10 - warning

Several months before upgrading I built a new machine built around the Intelís X-99 chipset and an ASUS x-99 Deluxe motherboard (updated UEFI) with all the bells and whistles. Add in an Intel i7-5930k, 32GB of DDR4 memory, a number of SSDís and a pair of AMD Radeon R9 280ís you can see I went almost all-out to indulge myself in a great new machine. I added a PCI-express 3.0 M.2 after the upgrade.

First, let me say that I upgraded my wifeís older Win7 machine without a hitch. But I wanted to have the least baggage possible so on my new machine I installed Win8 upgraded to 8.1. I unplugged all hard drives and SSDs unrelated to the OS and apps and then let her rip. When the upgrade was done I had Win 10 with a good portion of previous Win 8.1 information but I was missing some critical things like half the chipset drivers, all drivers for USB 3.0 and LAN drivers. Also the AI Suite from the m-board manufacturer was gone and the graphics card drivers were missing. My favorites, Documents and Pictures did not make it either. This all turned out to be just a nuisance as I had backed up all that information and had all the up-to-date drivers I had previously installed a month earlier. But users with new equipment purchased with everything pre-installed may not be so lucky. Maybe future updates will iron out the problems with recent hardware.

Win10 runs like a champ on this machine after working out what made the migration and what didn't so I didn't roll back to 8.1. As an oldie, I also installed IE 11 along with Edge until I decide to give up my toolbars and a few other things. I don't like all the info Cortana wants in order to do a few things I can do for myself so she didn't make the cut.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of upgrading their top-of-the-line equipment to Win10. There's even better out now so I'd be very careful upgrading anything newer than what I mentioned.

Thanks
    I did upgrade my latest X99 build, see my sig, to Windows 10 from 8.1 without a hitch.
    In fact, it upgraded so well it was almost scary.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow! I have to agree that given the total job of upgrading a computer the process went pretty well and surprisingly fast. The things I mentioned were kind of petty since it took all of 15-20 min to restore the missing drivers and files. But if I didn't have the drivers on hand it could have been a big hassle. And I wonder how many people out there put all their faith in Microsoft and do an upgrade without a backup? Given the # of people who never do backups I think it's probably a scary number.
    What mbd did you use? Was it an ASUS as well? Just wondering if that was the bottleneck in my upgrade as it's hard to imagine any thing else interfering to that degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    I did upgrade my latest X99 build, see my sig, to Windows 10 from 8.1 without a hitch.
    In fact, it upgraded so well it was almost scary.

Thanks
    And I wonder how many people out there put all their faith in Microsoft and do an upgrade without a backup?
    That's one of those never ending problems that people seem content on replicating over and over again given the history.
    RULES of THUMB:
    1. Always have an recent backup image of your primary drive.
    2. Always have an independent backup of all your personal data and the programs you install.
    3. Always have the latest drivers on hand.

There's no excuse not to.
    Otherwise your learning experience is always gonna be a negative reinforcement type of learning experience.
    What mbd did you use? Was it an ASUS as well?
    Yeah, I settled on the X99 deluxe and took advantage of the M.2 functionality right from the start, but everything was CLEAN installed.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.